Silvio Berlusconi says he’s running to be premier again – for the good of Italy.
The media mogul confirmed to reporters today that he’ll try for a fourth term. Mr Berlusconi quit in disgrace as premier last year after failing to save Italy from its sovereign debt crisis. He has since been convicted of tax fraud and now faces plunging poll numbers.
He withdrew support for Premier Mario Monti’s technocrat government on Thursday, increasing the prospects for early elections.
Mr Monti called the political crisis triggered by the loss of Berlusconi’s support “manageable” and said his government has rescued Italy from financial disaster.
Me Berlusconi said “the campaign is already on” and he’s running “out of a sense of responsibility” toward recession-plagued Italy.