At least eight dead following Lagos building collapse

At least eight people are dead after a four-storey residential building collapsed in the Nigerian city of Lagos.

Authorities said at least 15 people had been rescued from the rubble of the building that collapsed on Tuesday afternoon.

Government officials did not immediately say what caused the collapse in a poor neighbourhood of the sprawling city of about 21 million people. Rescue efforts continued overnight and into Wednesday morning.

An Associated Press photographer at the scene saw three bodies pulled from the rubble on Wednesday, hours after emergency officials put the death toll at five.

It was not clear how many people were living in the building.

Hundreds of people gathered at the scene where rescue workers and heavy machinery were sifting through the rubble.

Building collapses are not uncommon in the West African powerhouse where corruption is rampant and infrastructure is often poor.

Lagos, Nigeria's commercial hub, is said to be Africa's largest city.


More in this Section

Director cancels release of film starring missing actress Fan Bingbing

Grenfell survivor had bag packed 'in defiance of stay-put advice' days before fire

Mundell ‘did not threaten to quit’ over Brexit deal

HBO brothel boss who won a Nevada State Primary, Dennis Hof, dies after days-long 72nd birthday party


Breaking Stories

Cork Film Festival launches 2018 programme of 250 films

How to make Prue Leith’s ‘almost Thai’ fish cakes

Could this be the most spiritual retreat in Vietnam?

What’s it like to stay in Richard Branson’s favourite Balearic retreat?

More From The Irish Examiner