Assad makes mercenaries claim

Assad makes mercenaries claim

In his first interview in nearly half a year, Syrian president Bashar Assad claimed his regime has captured foreign mercenaries who were fighting for the opposition in a bid to show his forces are fighting terrorists rather than pro-democracy activists.

Assad spoke in an interview broadcast on Russian state news channel Rossiya-24, signalling he has no intention of softening his position despite an international peace plan that includes a ceasefire.

He said the decision by the Syrian National Council to boycott parliamentary elections earlier this year discredited the opposition group.

“To call for boycotting the elections, that’s the equivalent of calling for a boycott of the people,” Assad said. “And how can you boycott the people of whom you consider yourself the representative?

“So I don’t think that they have any kind of weight or significance within Syria,” Assad said in remarks translated into Russian.

He said religious extremists and al-Qaida members from abroad are among the forces fighting his government.

“There are foreign mercenaries, some of them still alive. They are being detained and we are preparing to show them to the world,” he said.

Assad’s last interview was with ABC’s Barbara Walters in December.

It was significant that today’s interview was given to Russia state media. Russia has been Syria’s most powerful and loyal ally over the course of the uprising, selling weapons to the regime and blocking action against Damascus at the UN Security Council.

The Assad regime’s crackdown on a 14-month-long popular uprising has left thousands dead and prompted international condemnation. More than 200 UN observers have been deployed throughout Syria to monitor a ceasefire agreement, which has been repeatedly violated by both sides since it took effect on April 12.

In a fresh blow to the peace effort, the international monitors have been caught up in the violence as well.

A team of observers was evacuated from a tense town in northern Syria today, one day after a roadside bomb hit their convoy and left them stranded overnight with rebel forces, a UN spokesman said.

The team’s vehicles were struck by the blast yesterday during a mission in the northern town of Khan Sheikhoun. None of the observers were wounded, but they had to spend the night with rebels in the area.

Yesterday’s attack, which came minutes after witnesses said regime forces gunned down mourners at a funeral procession nearby, dealt a fresh blow to international envoy Kofi Annan’s peace plan and the UN effort to monitor compliance with a troubled ceasefire agreement. The deal has already been tested by relentless violence from both sides, and fears about the observers’ safety could raise doubts about its effectiveness.

The bombing was at least the second time the UN observers have been caught up in Syria’s violence. Last week, a roadside bomb struck a Syrian military truck in the south of the country just seconds after the Norwegian team leader Major General Robert Mood rode by in a convoy.

Syria-based UN spokesman Hassan Seklawi said UN members picked up the team at around noon today.

“They left in one convoy in the direction of Hama,” Mr Seklawi said, referring to a central city south of Khan Sheikhoun.

Even as violence grips the nation, Assad told the Russian TV station that his country supports his reform agenda.

He pointed to recent parliamentary elections, saying Syrians “up to this time support the course of reform”.

The government has praised the May 7 vote as a milestone in promised political reforms. But the opposition boycotted the polls and said they were orchestrated by the regime to strengthen Assad’s grip on power.

A Turkish official has said the situation in Syria and discussions on the possibility of a Nato intervention were bound to come up during a Nato summit in Chicago next week. So far, the international community has shown little appetite for getting involved in another Arab nation in turmoil.

The official said Nato could become involved if the UN Security Council approved an intervention – a move considered unlikely given Russia and China’s support of Assad – or if any of the Nato members feels threatened and calls for protection from the alliance.

The official said Turkey would call for Nato protection if “our national security and national interests are threatened or if there is an attack from Syria”, though he added “there is no such situation at present”.

Syria’s state-run TV, meanwhile, reported today that authorities released 250 people who were involved in the uprising. Assad has issued several pardons releasing thousands of detainees since the crisis began.

The Syrian uprising began with mostly peaceful protests calling for change, but a relentless government crackdown led many in the opposition to take up arms. Some soldiers have also switched sides and joined forces with the rebels.

More on this topic

Syrian air force responsible for chemical attacks, says watchdogSyrian air force responsible for chemical attacks, says watchdog

UN chief says initial coronavirus cases in Syria just ‘tip of the iceberg’UN chief says initial coronavirus cases in Syria just ‘tip of the iceberg’

Assad predicts total victory after gains in northern SyriaAssad predicts total victory after gains in northern Syria

Dublin footballer Michael Darragh Macauley calls for action to help Syrian refugees after Iraq visit Dublin footballer Michael Darragh Macauley calls for action to help Syrian refugees after Iraq visit


More in this Section

Hong Kong legislature outlaws insults to China’s national anthemHong Kong legislature outlaws insults to China’s national anthem

At least 39 injured in China nursery knife attackAt least 39 injured in China nursery knife attack

Blue Planet Live presenter Bonnin condemns ‘way we manipulate wildlife’Blue Planet Live presenter Bonnin condemns ‘way we manipulate wildlife’

Black Lives Matter activist: Our people are uprising in a huge way over George Floyd deathBlack Lives Matter activist: Our people are uprising in a huge way over George Floyd death


Lifestyle

Eve Kelliher consults a Munster designer to find out what our future residences, offices and businesses will look likeHow pandemic life is transforming homes and workplaces

Nidge and co return for a repeat of a series that gripped the nation over its five seasons.Friday's TV Highlights: Love/Hate returns while Springwatch looks at rewilding

A family expert at the charity Action for Children advises how parents can maintain contact with kids after separation if there’s an access problem.My ex won’t let me see my child because I haven’t paid maintenance during lockdown. What can I do?

THREE years ago, when radio presenter Daniella Moyles announced that she was quitting, few could have guessed from her upbeat Instagram post the inner turmoil she’d been enduring.Daniella Moyles on how she beat anxiety

More From The Irish Examiner