Appeal Court rules out presidential recount in Michigan

Appeal Court rules out presidential recount in Michigan

Michigan's presidential recount has been thrown into doubt after a state appeals court said the Green Party candidate's poor showing disqualified her from seeking a second look at the votes.

Meanwhile, the fate of a statewide recount push in Pennsylvania must wait at least until Friday, when a federal judge has scheduled a hearing.

President-elect Donald Trump narrowly defeated Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton in both states and Wisconsin, which started a recount last week.

The recounts requested by Green Party candidate Jill Stein were not expected to change enough votes to overturn the result of the election.

Ms Stein, who received about 1% of the vote in all three states, says her intent is to verify the accuracy of the vote. She has suggested, with no evidence, that votes cast were susceptible to computer hacking.

In Wisconsin, Mr Trump had widened his victory margin over Ms Clinton by 146 votes, with 23 of the state's 72 counties having finished their recounts. In those counties, he gained 105 votes and Ms Clinton dropped 41 votes.

He had defeated Ms Clinton in Wisconsin by about 22,000 votes.

In Michigan, the appeals court ordered the state election board to reject Ms Stein's recount petition. The board meets again on Wednesday.

Attorney general Bill Schuette said the decision means the recount "must stop", but Ms Stein's lawyer Mark Brewer insisted the recount is not over.

The ruling came a day after District Judge Mark Goldsmith ordered an immediate state-wide recount of about 4.8 million ballots.

Mr Trump won Michigan by about 10,700 votes over Ms Clinton.

In Pennsylvania, District Judge Paul Diamond scheduled a hearing for Friday on the request for a recount.

The Republican Party and Mr Trump warned that the case threatens Pennsylvania's ability to certify its election before a December 13 federal deadline. Ms Stein's team has not produced evidence of hacking, but says Pennsylvania's election system is "a national disgrace".

Meanwhile, Pennsylvania election officials updated the state's vote count to show that Mr Trump's lead over Ms Clinton had shrunk to about 44,000 out of more than six million votes cast.

That is still short of Pennsylvania's 0.5% trigger for an automatic state-wide recount.

In Nevada, a partial recount of the race was requested by independent presidential candidate Roque De La Fuente, who finished last with a fraction of 1% of the vote.

Most of the 92 precincts being recounted are in the Las Vegas area, with eight in four other counties. If the sample shows a discrepancy of at least 1% for Mr De La Fuente or Ms Clinton, a full recount will be launched in all 17 Nevada counties.

Ms Clinton defeated Mr Trump in Nevada by 27,202 votes, out of 1.1 million votes cast. Nevada secretary of state spokeswoman Gail Anderson said the recount will be finished by the end of this week.

AP

More on this topic

Pompeo: I warned Russia about election meddlingPompeo: I warned Russia about election meddling

Russian intelligence officers accused of hacking Democrats in 2016 US electionRussian intelligence officers accused of hacking Democrats in 2016 US election

US senate committee agrees Russia backed Donald Trump against Hillary ClintonUS senate committee agrees Russia backed Donald Trump against Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton admits mistakes and casts blame for election loss in new bookHillary Clinton admits mistakes and casts blame for election loss in new book

More in this Section

Probe launched into UK student flats fire which spread ‘extremely rapidly’Probe launched into UK student flats fire which spread ‘extremely rapidly’

St Mark’s Square reopens in Venice after flooding forced closureSt Mark’s Square reopens in Venice after flooding forced closure

Tear gas fired by police as yellow vest protesters mark anniversaryTear gas fired by police as yellow vest protesters mark anniversary

UK police ‘assessing’ allegations of electoral fraud after peerages claimUK police ‘assessing’ allegations of electoral fraud after peerages claim


Lifestyle

Kate Tempest’s Vicar Street show began with the mother of all selfie moments. The 33 year-old poet and rapper disapproves of mid-concert photography and instructed the audience to get their snap-happy impulses out of the way at the outset. What was to follow would, she promised, be intense. We should give ourselves to the here and now and leave our phones in our pockets.Kate Tempest dives deep and dark in Dublin gig

Des O'Sullivan examines the lots up for auction in Bray.A Week in Antiques: Dirty tricks and past political campaigns

Following South Africa’s deserved Rugby World Cup victory I felt it was about time that I featured some of their wines.Wine with Leslie Williams

All your food news.The Menu: Food news with Joe McNamee

More From The Irish Examiner