Aleppo evacuation deal back on, say Syrian rebels

Aleppo evacuation deal back on, say Syrian rebels

Syrian rebels say a ceasefire deal for the evacuation of fighters and civilians from eastern Aleppo is back on, hours after it collapsed.

Spokesmen for three rebel groups said the ceasefire would come into effect later on Wednesday night and implementation of the deal would begin early on Thursday.

The evacuation from a sliver of territory the rebels still hold in eastern Aleppo was supposed to begin at dawn on Wednesday, but shelling resumed in the morning hours.

Rebels accused the Syrian government and its allies of derailing the deal by placing new conditions.

Ahmed Karali, spokesman for the Ahrar Sham rebel group, said on Wednesday that the deal was then salvaged.

He added that the first group of wounded people and civilians would begin leaving early on Thursday morning. Two other rebel spokesmen confirmed.

AP

More on this topic

Israel claims strikes against Iranian sites in SyriaIsrael claims strikes against Iranian sites in Syria

At least 18 killed in Syria car bomb attackAt least 18 killed in Syria car bomb attack

Syrian troops begin deploying along border with TurkeySyrian troops begin deploying along border with Turkey

Turkish patrol kills protester amid shaky truce in north-east SyriaTurkish patrol kills protester amid shaky truce in north-east Syria

More in this Section

Extinction Rebellion co-founder sorry for ‘crass words’ about HolocaustExtinction Rebellion co-founder sorry for ‘crass words’ about Holocaust

Corbyn declares war on rich and powerful with ‘manifesto of hope’Corbyn declares war on rich and powerful with ‘manifesto of hope’

Ukraine probes pursued at direction of Donald Trump, impeachment inquiry toldUkraine probes pursued at direction of Donald Trump, impeachment inquiry told

Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu charged with fraud and briberyIsraeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu charged with fraud and bribery


Lifestyle

It came as quite a surprise to learn that I had been writing my Weekend column in the Irish Examiner for 21 years — how the years have flown by and how the food scene has changed in Ireland over those two decades.A letter from Darina Allen, celebrating 21 years writing for The Irish Examiner

More From The Irish Examiner