Al Fayed 'confident' his name will be cleared

Specialist sex crimes investigators in England are looking into an allegation that Mohamed al Fayed sexually assaulted a teenage girl.

The Harrods owner yesterday vehemently denied the claim after he was interviewed by police under caution.

Scotland Yard said the inquiry is being led by Operation Sapphire, a specialist unit set up in 2001 to investigate sexual offences.

Mr al Fayed voluntarily went to a west London police station yesterday morning to answer questions about the alleged incident in May.

His spokeswoman, Katharine Witty, said he was “confident” his name would be cleared.

Mr al Fayed was not forced to attend the police interview, which lasted less than half an hour.

It is understood the allegation relates to a complaint by a 15-year-old girl that the multi-millionaire businessman sexually assaulted her at Harrods.

The teenager told police Mr al Fayed kissed her after she met him at the exclusive Knightsbridge store while shopping with her mother, the 'Mail on Sunday' reported earlier this year.

In a statement outside Harrods yesterday, Ms Witty said: “We confirm that Mohamed al Fayed voluntarily attended an interview with police to categorically refute an allegation widely reported in the media.

“He did not attend under compulsion and the meeting lasted for less than half an hour.

“From the outset, details of this allegation have appeared in the media which they attributed to a police source.

“And indeed despite assurances that today’s interview would be kept confidential, he is concerned that it was reported within one hour of its conclusion.

“Mr al Fayed vehemently denies this allegation and is confident that his name will be cleared.”

Scotland Yard refused to confirm that the Harrods owner had been questioned.

A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman said: “A man attended a west London police station by prior arrangement and was questioned under caution this morning.

“The man was questioned in relation to an allegation of sexual assault on a girl under 16 at a business premises in central London. The allegation was received in May 2008.”

So far there have been no arrests, the police spokeswoman said.

Egyptian-born Mr al Fayed, who also owns Fulham Football Club, has frequently clashed with the British establishment.

Despite living in Britain for decades, he has repeatedly been refused a UK passport.

This year an inquest rejected his claim that Princess Diana was killed by intelligence agents because she was pregnant with his son Dodi’s child and they were about to announce their engagement.


More in this Section

Boris Johnson stands by under-fire senior aide Dominic CummingsBoris Johnson stands by under-fire senior aide Dominic Cummings

Jerusalem’s Church of the Holy Sepulchre reopens after two-month lockdownJerusalem’s Church of the Holy Sepulchre reopens after two-month lockdown

Belarus opposition stages protest against president’s bid for sixth termBelarus opposition stages protest against president’s bid for sixth term

Donald Trump aide suggests G7 meeting could be held in personDonald Trump aide suggests G7 meeting could be held in person


Lifestyle

Last week, I wrote about 'small is beautiful' as a key to an improved environment for all living things after this Covid crisis is finally over. As I wrote, I saw, in the mind's eye, the village where I live in west Cork and from which my wife and I are temporarily exiled.Damien Enright: Community spirit can ensure we pull through - together

Fifty years ago, a fox was spotted in Dublin’s St. Stephen’s Green. The unfortunate animal was chased by local ‘gurriers’. It took refuge in a tree but was promptly stoned to death.Richard Collins: Wildlife taking back the streets of our cities

The north pier on Cape Clear has been eerily quiet these last few months as no visitors disembark. The ferry is not unloading boatloads of tourists from Baltimore, 45 minutes away, or from Schull, as it would normally.The Islands of Ireland: Cape Clear tells its side of the story

If the Donegal postman and amateur weather forecaster has it right, we could be in for water shortages in the coming months. Michael Gallagher, who predicted the scorching summer of 2018 and the 2010 freeze-up, says we’ll have a ‘lovely’ summer.Donal Hickey: Demand for water to soar

More From The Irish Examiner