217 bodies recovered from sunken migrant ship raised by Italian navy

217 bodies recovered from sunken migrant ship raised by Italian navy

Navy officials in Italy have recovered 217 bodies from the hull of a migrant ship that sank off Libya last year in a tragedy which led to the EU beefing up Mediterranean rescue operations.

Italian authorities raised the ship from the seabed last week and have been working to remove and identify the bodies ever since.

In a statement on Thursday, the navy said 52 post-mortem examinations had been carried out on the 217 bodies pulled out so far.

Some of the 28 survivors of the disaster on April 18 2015 wreck had said as many as 800 people were on board, leading officials to label it one of the worst tragedies of the Mediterranean migrant crisis.

Around 200 bodies were initially recovered, and, after officials saw the ship's dimensions, they suggested about 300 remained.


More in this Section

Trump backs away from military threatTrump backs away from military threat

Child given plasma in coronavirus treatment trialChild given plasma in coronavirus treatment trial

Canada’s Trudeau pauses when asked about Trump clearing protestersCanada’s Trudeau pauses when asked about Trump clearing protesters

Joe Biden sweeps seven US presidential primariesJoe Biden sweeps seven US presidential primaries


Lifestyle

A slimmed-down Irish couple has written a bestselling cookery book featuring healthy versions of indulgent meals, says Clodagh Finn.The Daly Dish serves up healthy version of our favourite meals

David Brophy's new choir and a classic Ireland v Holland game feature among today's top tips.Thursday's TV Highlights: David Brophy's new choir and a classic Ireland v Holland game

More From The Irish Examiner