Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure has apologised to fans after admitting drink-driving, but insisted he had "not intentionally consumed alcohol".
Yaya Toure's ‘I was not intentionally consuming alcohol’ has to be up there... pic.twitter.com/Noe0fO080O— Paddy Power (@paddypower) December 13, 2016
The Ivory Coast international said on Tuesday he had admitted the charge at a Monday court hearing, after being arrested in Dagenham, east London, on November 28.
In a statement released on his website Toure said he wanted to explain why, as a Muslim who does not drink, he had not contested the charge.
He said: "I have always refused alcohol. Anyone who knows me or follows football will have seen me refuse champagne for man-of-the-match performances because of my commitment to my religion.
"The matter has now been resolved in court on Monday. As I was above the permitted limit when tested on the night, I decided not to challenge the charge.
"However, it was important to me that I told the court that I had not intentionally consumed alcohol. The judge in his sentencing remarks accepted that I had not been intentionally drinking.
"Drink driving is a serious crime and even though I was not intentionally consuming alcohol I accept the ban and fine and I would like to apologise for this situation."
Toure was fined £54,000 and banned from driving for 18 months when he appeared at Barkingside Magistrates' Court on Monday, court officials said. He had been due to appear in court on Tuesday.
Toure, the brother of former Liverpool and Arsenal defender Kolo Toure, joined City for £24million from Barcelona in 2010 and is believed to earn around £200,000 a week.
It was not immediately clear what the circumstances were in which Toure unintentionally consumed alcohol.