Manchester City have announced the signing of Argentina defender Nicolas Otamendi from Valencia.
The 27-year-old, who had been strongly linked with a £28.5m move to the Etihad Stadium since the weekend, has signed a five-year contract with the Barclays Premier League club.
Nicolas Otamendi. File photo.
Otamendi will bolster central defensive ranks at City that include two familiar faces in former Porto team-mate Eliaquim Mangala and international colleague Martin Demichelis, as well as captain Vincent Kompany.
Otamendi told the club's website, : "I am here to give my best, to fight game by game and push City to the highest peaks for as long as possible, and I wish we will be able to win several cups and titles.
“That’s most important. To be here inside a club that looks so wonderful from the outside is a dream.”
— Manchester City (@ManCity) August 20, 2015
No financial details of the deal have been revealed but it is thought Valencia were hoping to use the sale to write off part of the fee they still owe City for striker Alvaro Negredo.
Otamendi joined the Spanish club from Porto just a year ago. Initial reports at the weekend claimed Valencia wanted to offset his loss by signing Mangala on loan in exchange but City had no intention of allowing the £42m Frenchman to leave Eastlands.
City manager Manuel Pellegrini said: “Nicolas Otamendi was arguably the best defender in La Liga last season and so naturally I’m delighted to have added a player of his quality.
“He is an established international for one of the best nations in world football and I have no doubt that he has the right mentality to fit into a squad where he will find many familiar faces, including Eliaquim and Fernando who he played alongside in Portugal.
“As a footballer, Nicolas has all of the qualities to be a success in the Premier League – he’s strong, he’s excellent in the tackle and he’s very good technically.
“I am sure he will become another Argentine player our fans will enjoy watching.”