Walsh Cup Roundup: Dublin, Galway, Offaly and Wexford go through

Walsh Cup Roundup: Dublin, Galway, Offaly and Wexford go through
Cahir Healy, Laois, in action against Fiontan McGibb and Sean Treacy, Dublin. Picture: SPORTSFILE

Dublin, Galway, Offaly and Wexford are through to next Sunday's Bord na Móna Walsh Cup semi-finals.

First half goals from Fiontan McGibb and Paul Ryan helped Dublin advance to the knock-out stages with a 2-20 to 1-09 win over Laois at O’Moore Park.

Laois led by 0-03 to 0-02 after five minutes, but never led after this, with McGibb’s seventh minute goal putting Dublin in front.

Laois levelled on 18 minutes thanks to a Tadhg Dowling goal at 1-05 apiece. However a 25th minute penalty from Ryan helped Dublin to a 2-12 to 1-07 interval lead.

Dublin were strong on the restart, and finished with 12 different scorers, including Eamon Dillon who bagged four points from play, and was unlucky not to add four goals to his tally, having been denied by the posts, and also the brilliance of Laois goalkeeper Eoin Reilly.

Laois were wasteful in the second half, and amassed 17 wides in total, with two points from PJ Scully their lone scores in the closing 35 minutes.

Wexford were always in control as they claimed a 1-21 to 0-07 victory over Carlow at Netwatch Cullen Park.

The visitors impressed early on and blazed to a 0-07 to 0-00 lead after 22 minutes, with Aidan Nolan, Andrew Shore, Shane Tompkins, Paul Morris and Harry Kehoe on target.

Wexford led by 0-10 to 0-04 at half-time, with Kevin McDonald (2), James O'Hara and Seanie Whelan taking Carlow’s scores.

The sides were well balanced in the third quarter, but Wexford kicked on, with a David Dunne goal helping them on the way to a 17-point win.

A hat-trick of first half goals paved the way for Galway to claim a 3-18 to 0-17 win over Westmeath at St. Loman’s GAA Club in Mullingar.

Jason Flynn fired the Westerners first goal after five minutes, and followed up with an 11th minute penalty strike, with Richie Cummins completing the hat-trick after 18 minutes.

Westmeath were rocked during this spell which saw Galway bag an unanswered 2-05. The hosts kept in touch, but Galway led 3-10 to 0-08 at the break.

Westmeath outscored Galway by three points to one inside 10 minutes of the restart, but Micheal Donoghue’s charges had done enough, with the Tribesmen finishing with points from Shane Moloney and Éanna Burke on the way to a 10-point win.

Elsewhere Fitzgibbon Cup hopefuls DCU and NUI Galway drew 1-20 apiece at St. Claire’s Sportsground in DCU.

NUIG made a strong start by 1-11 to 0-09 at half-time, with Clare’s Stephen Ward netting the visitors goal.

Next weeks semi-finals will see Dublin host Galway, while Offaly face Wexford.

More in this Section

Graham adds to Scotland woes after Russell exclusionGraham adds to Scotland woes after Russell exclusion

Achilles injury halts Okunbor's AFL progressAchilles injury halts Okunbor's AFL progress

'We don't know where we stand': Potential loopholes undermine new rules'We don't know where we stand': Potential loopholes undermine new rules

England hold clear-the-air talks over Saracens issue ahead of Six NationsEngland hold clear-the-air talks over Saracens issue ahead of Six Nations


Falsies don’t have to be fiddly, says Katie Wright.5 common myths about false lashes

Hiring professional designers to guide you through a home revamp can get you what you want, which doesn’t necessarily have to be what TV home improvement shows tell us, writes Carol O’Callaghan.What a professional interior designer can do for you when planning a home revamp

Kya deLongchamps turns the spotlight on countertop stars to look out for in the last throes of the January sales.Counter culture: Some star kitchen appliance buys

The model, presenter and musician chats to Lauren Taylor about how different it is having a newborn in her 40s.Myleene Klass on her post-baby body: ‘I’ve got two stone to lose but I won’t berate myself’

More From The Irish Examiner