UCC and CIT set up all-Cork Fitzgibbon Cup decider

UCC and Cork IT will face off in an all-Cork centenary Fitzgibbon Cup final at the Mardyke tomorrow afternoon (throw-in 3pm) after semi-final wins over Limerick sides UL and LIT respectively.

Tournament hosts UCC were certainly keen to ensure a weekend to remember as they qualified for their first final since 2009, following today's 1-15 to 0-15 victory over UL.

UCC's goal came from a fourth minute penalty from Waterford's Paraic Mahony, who registered 1-7 in the opening half, as UCC took a 1-9 to 0-6 interval lead.

The hosts opened up a 1-13 to 0-8 lead inside 15 minutes of the restart, with a superbly struck sideline from Bishopstown's Brian Murray among the highlights.

However, UL failed to lie down with seven unanswered points from Galway's Johnny Coen cutting the gap to the minimum on a 1-13 to 0-15 score-line in the 58th minute.

UCC were not going to let a home decider slip from their grasp though, and two late points ensured a final berth for them.

In the other semi-final, Cork IT led LIT by 0-10 to 0-7 at half-time after a tight opening half, with Cork's Stephen White, Padraig Gould, John Cronin and Kilkenny's Colin Fennelly featuring strongly.

Earlier on, LIT led by 0-3 to 0-2 after 10 minutes, but once CIT broke in front in the 15th minute they were able to keep control of the scoreboard.

CIT held LIT to just one point inside 25 minutes of the restart, as they moved 0-15 to 0-8 clear with five minutes remaining.

LIT pegged back a late goal from Eoin Ryan of Limerick in the dying seconds, but it was a case of too little, too late as CIT progressed.

Meanwhile, Mary Immaculate College, Limerick and IT Tralee will meet in the second tier Ryan Cup final tomorrow (throw-in 12.45pm) after wins over Trinity College and NUI Maynooth respectively this afternoon.

Cork manager Jimmy Barry-Murphy watched on as Mary Immaculate College always looked likely winners, claiming a 2-21 to 1-9 success over Trinity in the first semi-final.

Managed by former Limerick and Offaly All-Ireland winning manager Eamonn Cregan, Mary I led by 1-11 to 1-3 at half-time, with Limerick native Michael Ryan netting their goal.

Faughs, Dublin clubman Padraig Ryan netted Trinity's goal, but Mary I ran riot in the second half, with Cork native Fionn Keane registering their second goal.

In the second semi-final, IT Tralee carved out a 0-21 to 1-11 win over NUI Maynooth after extra-time.

Kildare's Gerry Keegan was in stunning form for the University side, with five well-taken scores from play in normal time.

A goal from Westmeath's Brian Connaughton was the difference as NUIM led by 1-6 to 0-6 at half-time.

Just a point separated the sides with 16 minutes remaining, following a Fergus Kennedy score for IT Tralee, before the Kerry college hit five wides.

Kennedy tied the contest in the 58th minute. And although Keegan's fifth point edged NUIM ahead late on, a Mark Deegan score forced extra-time.

IT Tralee hit six points in-a-row in first half injury-time, while the sides traded scores in the closing 10 minutes.

Elsewhere, LIT Tipperary and St Patrick's College will meet in an all-Thurles Fergal Maher Cup final tomorrow.

LIT Tipperary accounted for IT Tallaght by 2-16 to 4-4 in the first semi-final, while St Patrick's College managed to see of the challenge of Napier University, Edinburgh by 0-16 to 2-8.

More in this Section

Player ratings: Tipperary v Kilkenny All-Ireland 2019Player ratings: Tipperary v Kilkenny All-Ireland 2019

Hockey: Ireland got out of jail, says CoxHockey: Ireland got out of jail, says Cox

Ireland putting in hard yards in PortugalIreland putting in hard yards in Portugal

Cullen: We may ‘keep an eye’ on partying playersCullen: We may ‘keep an eye’ on partying players


Frits Potgieter is General Manager with Muckross Park Hotel and Spa.You've Been Served: Frits Potgieter, Muckross Park Hotel and Spa

More From The Irish Examiner