Messages of support continued to flood in for Seve Ballesteros today after it was confirmed that the Spanish golfing great has a brain tumour.
The 51-year-old collapsed at Madrid airport a week ago and was in intensive care for five days, with doctors releasing a statement saying that he had suffered “a partial epileptic fit”. He undergoes a biopsy tomorrow.
Speaking on behalf of the European Tour, chairman Neil Coles said: “Everyone connected with the European Tour will be shocked to hear this news. We are confident that Seve will conquer this challenge with the same determination he has brought to all previous challenges.”
Ballesteros, who retired from the game last year, commented in a statement: “Now I have been able to inform my three children and their mother, now I can tell you about the illness that I am suffering.
“Throughout my whole career I have been one of the best at facing obstacles on the golf course. Now I want to be the best, facing the most difficult match of my life, with all my strength, and counting on all of you who are sending encouraging messages.
“Next Tuesday I will have a biopsy performed, and then the doctors will decide how to proceed.
“I have always felt very close to people who suffer serious illness, even more severe than mine. I want to remind them that with courage, faith, serenity, confidence and a lot of mental strength we have to face every situation no matter how difficult it is.
“I want to thank from the bottom of my heart all those people who have shown affection and interest in my state of health, with all kinds of support. Many thanks.”
Former Ryder Cup partner Jose Maria Olazabal visited Ballesteros after playing at the Madrid Masters and said: “I saw Seve looking very well. We were speaking for quite a little while. I wish him a prompt recovery.”