John Terry has no intention of speaking publicly about his status as England captain before meeting with manager Fabio Capello.
Terry issued a brief statement this afternoon insisting he was “keeping his own counsel” over the allegations about his private life that have plunged him into a media storm.
The Chelsea star has faced calls for his resignation as skipper following allegations that he had an affair with the ex-partner of England team-mate Wayne Bridge.
Phil Hall, Terry’s spokesman, said: “John Terry asked me to make it clear that he has made absolutely no statement about his future as England captain.
“He is keeping his own counsel until he speaks to England manager Fabio Capello and then Mr Capello will decide what announcement will be made.”
The Football Association stated earlier in the week that the issue of whether Terry, 29, remains as captain or not was a matter for Capello alone.
Capello has been recuperating in Switzerland after a recent knee operation but is due to return to England tomorrow.
The Italian is thought likely to meet Terry before travelling to Poland for the qualifying draw for Euro 2012 this weekend.
England are next in action when they face Egypt in a friendly on March 3 and ordinarily it would be expected that Terry and Bridge, now at Manchester City, would be selected in the squad.
Terry last night played his second Chelsea match since the storm broke, suffering a torrent of abuse from supporters as the Barclays Premier League leaders were held to a disappointing 1-1 draw at struggling Hull.
After the game his club manager Carlo Ancelotti hinted that the player could be given time off to get his affairs in order when Chelsea take a break from league action to play in the FA Cup fifth round next weekend.
Ancelotti said: “If he needs a holiday I will give him a holiday. If he doesn’t need a holiday then he will play against Cardiff. You will see the line-up then.
“It is an issue for me and John Terry; it is not your problem, I think.
“For him nothing has changed. He has played a very good game and every game he is leading very well. He is doing his best every game.”
The allegations relating to Terry’s private life came to light after a gagging order was lifted by Mr Justice Tugendhat at the High Court in London on Friday.
Terry has two children with his wife, who has now fled the family home and reportedly flown to Dubai with the youngsters.