The family of Olympic boxer Darren Sutherland have applied for a second post-mortem examination, it was confirmed today.
The body of the Beijing bronze medallist, who was found hanged in his London flat last September months after turning professional, is to be exhumed from a graveyard in Ireland.
Meath County Council has granted the licence to have his remains dug up from St Finian's Cemetery in Navan, Co Meath.
Meath County Council said a licence for the exhumation was granted on June 10.
A spokeswoman said it was a standard licence with a number of conditions attached by a senior environmental officer.
In a statement through their solicitor, James Evans, the Sutherland family said they wanted to dispel any rumours and speculation over the application.
"Whilst they are not at liberty to go into the specific reasons for their application given the pending coronial inquest into their late son's death, they feel that the conduct of a second post-mortem into Darren's death will only assist in putting all relevant matters before the coroner when the inquest into Darren's death is reconvened later this year," the statement read.
"They are firmly of the view that the only forum for determining the facts surrounding Darren's death is through the judicial process and not otherwise."
The stylish Irish fighter was found dead in his flat on September 14 last year in the London suburb of Bromley by manager Frank Maloney.
He lived with Mr Maloney and his family for four months after leaving his home town the previous year to pursue his dream. He had been living on his own for six months before his death.
Sutherland appeared to be progressing well in the professional game, winning his first four fights after leaving the amateur game behind.
The solicitor said it was a difficult and sensitive time for the family, while those close to the boxer's father Tony said the family were still devastated by his untimely death.
It is understood the council in Sutherland's home town is planning to erect a plaque in his memory.