Sterling given trial date over alleged assault

A teenage Premier League and England footballer will stand trial over the alleged assault of a woman in Liverpool, a court heard today.

Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling, 18, is charged with common assault after a 27-year-old woman, who is known to the player, suffered “slight” facial injuries, police said.

Sterling did not attend the hearing at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court today but was allowed to enter a formal not guilty plea to the charges through his solicitor, Mick Hogan.

It was the third hearing in relation to the allegation that the footballer has not attended and District Judge Lloyd issued a warning to him that the trial would go ahead without him on May 20 if he failed to turn up.

She said: “I am sure he understands that he will need to attend. If he doesn’t the trial will proceed without him.”

Earlier in the short hearing District Judge Lloyd questioned his absence, saying: “It would be much more useful if he was here. But anyway, there it is. We have got what we have got.”

The offence allegedly took place in the Toxteth area of the city on November 2.

Sterling was initially summonsed to Liverpool Youth Court as the incident happened when he was 17, but he turned 18 in December and the matter was transferred to the adult courts.

The Jamaica-born star, who lives in Woolton, Liverpool, was not present for his youth court hearing earlier this month.

Sterling made his senior international debut for England last November against Sweden and has earned plaudits for his performances for Liverpool this season.

More in this Section

UCD axe boss Collie O’NeillUCD axe boss Collie O’Neill

Maurizio Sarri suffering from pneumonia ahead of Juventus’ Serie A openerMaurizio Sarri suffering from pneumonia ahead of Juventus’ Serie A opener

Gary Neville criticises 'embarrassing' Manchester United penalty confusionGary Neville criticises 'embarrassing' Manchester United penalty confusion

Football rumours from the mediaFootball rumours from the media


Lifestyle

It’s 100% better than takeout.How to make Jamie Oliver’s veggie pad thai

The Hunger is billed as an opera, but its composer, Donnacha Dennehy, prefers to call it a “docu-cantata”.The Hunger: Appeals to God and for pity in this clash of two linguistic worlds

We take a trip down memory lane and check out what happened on this day in years gone by by looking back at some Irish Examiner front pages and highlighting other events which went down in history across the world.August 21, 2019: A look back at what happened on this day in years gone by

For this year’s sausage survey we focused on a high proportion of meat. It had to be over 65% — a substantial sausage that would barbecue well in summer, but that also could be simmered gently in a tomato sauce for 15 minutes to make a quick meal — this way, sausages don’t have to be grilled/fried first.Summer bangers: The top 8 meaty sausages

More From The Irish Examiner