South Africa allowed to bid for 2023 Rugby World Cup after government withdraws ban

South Africa allowed to bid for 2023 Rugby World Cup after government withdraws ban

South Africa’s bid for the 2023 Rugby World Cup is back on track after the country’s government lifted a ban preventing the sport from applying to host international events, writes Stephen Barry.

The government had imposed the ban on rugby, cricket, athletics and netball in April 2016 for failing to meet racial diversity targets. Soccer had been the only one of the country’s five major sports to meet those targets for creating opportunities for black players.

But rugby has now been commended by South African Minister for Sport and Recreation Thulas Nxesi for going “the extra mile” to meet the ‘Transformation Charter’ targets, and will rival Ireland and France for the 2023 hosting rights.

“I would like to congratulate rugby, cricket and netball on their improved scores, you were clearly willing to walk the extra mile,” said Nxesi, who criticised the athletics federation for their poor structures and governance.

“Their right to bid for and host major sporting events, which was revoked before, is hereby immediately reinstated.

“But we would like to re-emphasise our expectations for sporting federations to take charge and provide leadership at school and club levels.”

The targets are monitored from schools level up to elite teams, under headings for demographics, performance, governance, access, preferential procurement and employment equity.

The news came as rugby officials gather in Kyoto, Japan for tomorrow’s 2019 Rugby World Cup draw.

Speaking from Japan, the President of SA Rugby Mark Alexander welcomed the boost to what he believes will be an “outstanding bid”.

“This is great news and a tribute to the work that the sport has been doing in recent years to stay in tune and relevant to modern South Africa,” said Alexander.

“We can now put the finishing touches to what we believe will be an outstanding bid to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

“We have kept the ministry up to speed with our thinking and state of preparation throughout the suspension and continue to enjoy an excellent relationship with our sports leaders.”

South Africa won the tournament in 1995 as hosts, and have had unsuccessful bids for the 2011, 2015 and 2019 editions. They continued to meet World Rugby deadlines in the 2023 bidding process during their yearlong government suspension.

South Africa allowed to bid for 2023 Rugby World Cup after government withdraws ban

Ireland, which is bidding to host the host the tournament for the first time, and France, the 2007 hosts, are the other bidders.

The winner will be announced by World Rugby on November 15.

More in this Section

'There are much better options' - Phil Mickelson did not expect Presidents Cup wild card'There are much better options' - Phil Mickelson did not expect Presidents Cup wild card

Celtic striker Vakoun Issouf Bayo willing to wait for first-team chancesCeltic striker Vakoun Issouf Bayo willing to wait for first-team chances

Rob Herring flying to Japan to replace injured Sean CroninRob Herring flying to Japan to replace injured Sean Cronin

Tokyo 2020 marathon and race walking to be moved to Sapporo’s cooler climateTokyo 2020 marathon and race walking to be moved to Sapporo’s cooler climate


Lifestyle

Food news with Joe McNamee.The Menu: All the food news of the week

Though the Killarney tourism sector has been at it for the bones of 150 years or more, operating with an innate skill and efficiency that is compelling to observe, its food offering has tended to play it safe in the teeth of a largely conservative visiting clientele, top-heavy with ageing Americans.Restaurant Review: Mallarkey, Killarney

We know porridge is one of the best ways to start the day but being virtuous day in, day out can be boring.The Shape I'm In: Food blogger Indy Power

Timmy Creed is an actor and writer from Bishopstown in Cork.A Question of Taste: Timmy Creed

More From The Irish Examiner