Toffees crash out of Cup

Toffees crash out of Cup

Brentford 1 Everton 1 Brentford win 4-3 on penalties

Everton crashed out of the Carling Cup tonight, losing 4-3 in a penalty shoot-out by League One strugglers Brentford after a 1-1 draw.

Jermaine Beckford and Phil Jagielka failed from 12 yards for David Moyes’ men.

Full-back Seamus Coleman had earlier fired Everton into a sixth-minute lead but the Bees drew level with a header from Gary Alexander in the 41st minute.

Everton settled the best of the two sides early on though and only took six minutes to break the deadlock.

Yakubu broke down the right before laying the ball to Diniyar Bilyaletdinov. The Russian entered the box before threading the ball through a stretched Brentford defence to Coleman, who beat Lee from six yards to score his first goal for the club.

Jagielka then flashed a header wide from a Gueye corner as Everton looked to double their advantage.

The Bees had keeper Lee to thank for preventing the visitors from scoring again in the 18th minute when he came out to claim the ball from under Yakubu’s feet after he was played in by the lively Gueye from the right flank.

The home side were given a lift soon after when Nicky Adams’ low drive crept just a couple of yards past Jan Mucha’s left-hand post.

Yakubu should have scored minutes later when he beat the offside trap but failed to hit the target with a free header from six yards.

Brentford had their best chance of the match so far just before the half hour when Myles Weston fired a curling ball across the box but Charlie MacDonald mis-timed his run and could only direct his header over the crossbar.

The home side thought they should have had a penalty moments later when Bilyaletdinov clumsily ran into the back of Weston inside the Everton box but referee Michael Oliver failed to point to the spot.

Marouane Fellaini glanced an acute flick against the post from a Gueye cross with eight minutes of the half left before Lee saved well from a 25-yard Yakubu strike.

The home crowd then erupted as the League one side levelled the scores when Weston broke down the right to cross for Gary Alexander, who powered a header past Mucha.

Coleman, who had given the away side the lead, then turned villain by giving away a penalty when he pulled the back of Weston’s shirt inside the Everton Box.

Referee Oliver gave the penalty but Mucha, who was only making his second Toffees appearance, saved Coleman’s blushes by saving to his right from MacDonald’s spot-kick.

A brilliant reaction save by Lee from a Bilyaletdinov header kept Brentford in as Everton then went on the offensive.

Moyes looked to Mikael Arteta and Stephen Pienaar for inspiration as they came on with 20 minutes left.

Lee came to Brentford’s rescue once more with 10 minutes left when he saved low down from Gueye inside the box.

Arteta skewed a 20-yard shot horribly wide as Everton began to face up to the possibility of extra time.

Coleman, keen to atone for his earlier error, then burst past two Brentford defenders before drawing a terrific reaction save from Lee in the dying minutes.

Osman had the first chance of extra time when he wriggled his way past two defenders before blazing a shot over from 20 yards.

Scott threw on Marcus Bean for veteran Kevin O’Connor for Brentford while Jermaine Beckford, who scored against the Bees for Leeds last season, was greeted with boos from the home fans when he replaced Yakubu.

Jagielka’s header was cleared off the line in a desperate scramble in added time at the end of the first period as Brentford desperately hung on.

Everton resumed their onslaught after the break, with Arteta forcing Lee into a spectacular one-handed diving save.

Osman then broke into the box before sending his strike over Lee’s goal.

The home supporters urged their side on as they kept possession well to frustrate the Toffees and take the game to penalties.

Leighton Baines powered the first spot-kick home in front of the Bees fans before Weston beat Mucha to his left.

Neville then put Everton 2-1 up but Nicky Forster’s well-placed finish levelled things at 2-2.

Spillane then matched Arteta’s strike to take it to 3-3 before Lee dove to his left to save from Beckford.

MacDonald’s goal then meant Jagielka had to score to keep Everton in the tie but he shot at the post before the ball bounced out to safety.

More in this Section

Nuno sets sights on January signings to boost Wolves squadNuno sets sights on January signings to boost Wolves squad

Brendan Rodgers hails Jamie Vardy as one of the best strikers in EuropeBrendan Rodgers hails Jamie Vardy as one of the best strikers in Europe

Venue changed for Liverpool’s first match in Club World CupVenue changed for Liverpool’s first match in Club World Cup

Ralph Hassenhuttl puts Southampton improvement down to rediscovering identityRalph Hassenhuttl puts Southampton improvement down to rediscovering identity


This Christmas remember that there is no such thing as cheap food.Buy local: Use your LOAF

As we wait, eager and giddy, a collective shudder of agitated ardor ripples through the theatre, like a Late, Late Toyshow audience when they KNOW Ryan’s going to give them another €150 voucher. Suddenly, a voice booms from the stage. Everyone erupts, whooping and cheering. And that was just for the safety announcement.Everyman's outstanding Jack and the Beanstalk ticks all panto boxes

Every band needs a Bez. In fact, there’s a case to be made that every workplace in the country could do with the Happy Mondays’ vibes man. Somebody to jump up with a pair of maracas and shake up the energy when things begin to flag.Happy Mondays create cheery Tuesday in Cork gig

More From The Irish Examiner