Rangers manager Walter Smith is confident he will have signed at least two new players before the start of the new season with Georgie Welcome and Nikica Jelavic top of the list of possible recruits.
Honduran World Cup striker Welcome is due to arrive at Murray Park on Monday for a week’s trial.
And Smith confirmed he is closing in on Rapid Vienna’s Jelavic.
The Austrians are looking for £3.25m – even though the Croatian striker is in the final year of his contract.
The cash-strapped Ibrox club will not pay that amount but Smith remains hopeful that Jelavic will arrive to bolster his squad.
“Of course we have an interest in him,” Smith told the Daily Record.
“Negotiations are going a bit slower than we had hoped but we are working on that.”
Welcome, 25, had been linked with a move to Ibrox before this summer’s World Cup in South Africa.
His club Motagua have confirmed they have allowed the £500,000-rated forward to travel to Glasgow after Welcome played in their CONCACAF Champions League 1-0 defeat in Toronto.
A spokesman for Motagua is reported in the Daily Record as saying: “The player will travel to Scotland next week to have tests and discussions with Rangers.”
Smith, in Australia for the Sydney Festival of Football, is relaxed about the fact he has yet to add to his squad ahead of his bid for a third successive Clydesdale Bank Premier League title.
He said: “We actually have a month left. We know that and there is no reason to rush in and sign players just to look busy.
“Because we are out here in Australia that doesn’t mean we aren’t working on deals.
“But I’m not going to dive in and take people on just for the sake of it.
“We’ve done that before and it won’t happen again. I know what we have to do.
“I want players in and we’ll have a couple at least before the season starts.
“We don’t have the money for a huge spend but we will have two or possibly three signed in time.”