Officials at Uttoxeter will stage a second morning inspection at 9am to decide whether this afternoon's meeting can go ahead.
Clerk of the course Charlie Moore announced an initial inspection for 8am with the course covered in snow on Friday morning and although that had disappeared by the afternoon, further snow and frost overnight is causing problems.
Moore said: "We're hopeful verging on confident, but we're not there yet.
"The snow we had on Friday morning had gone by 1pm so we put the fleeces down to guard against the frost.
"We got down to minus 4C overnight so we need that to climb a bit and we also have some snow on top of the fleeces, but there is no frost underneath."