Schumacher 'pretty relaxed' over Bahrain trip

Schumacher 'pretty relaxed' over Bahrain trip

Michael Schumacher is convinced the Bahrain Grand Prix organisers will pull out all the stops to ensure no harm befalls the Formula One fraternity next month.

The sport is due to make its return to the Gulf kingdom in just four weeks’ time following a two-year break after last season’s race was cancelled in the wake of anti-government protests.

Clashes between police and protesters continue on a daily basis, primarily in villages on the outskirts of the capital Manama.

There is the fear further protests will occur, in particular in the week of the race itself as the biggest event to be staged in the country unfolds since the last grand prix in 2010.

But asked about the prospect ahead of this weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix, seven-times champion Schumacher concedes to being “pretty relaxed to go there”.

The 43-year-old Mercedes driver added: “From our perspective we’re going to be very well looked after because they might foresee whatever, but we’ll be prepared.

“I’ve a few good friends over there, and I’m pretty sure for them it’s a very important event, and they just want to make everybody happy.

“If you look around the world you will find in other places the possibility to think about similar things, but we don’t.

“At the end of the day I’m pretty certain they’re going to do their utmost and we’ll be okay.”

Reigning double world champion Sebastian Vettel shared his German compatriot’s sentiments.

Vettel said: “There are a lot of people who have to make a decision as to whether it’s safe or not.

“If they decide it’s safe then we shouldn’t worry, so I’m happy to go to Bahrain.

“Of course, it was a shame the race didn’t happen last year, but I think ultimately it was the right call.

“It’s not really our business, and we’ll see what happens, but I am quite confident we’ll be all right.”

Jenson Button, however, winner of the season-opening grand prix in Australia on Sunday, was a little more circumspect as he said: “I think for us, as you know, it’s a very difficult subject.

“Personally, from my point of view and for all of us, we need to look at the FIA for common sense, and we will go with what they have to say.”

More on this topic

Formula One investigating circumstances surrounding imprisonment of activist in BahrainFormula One investigating circumstances surrounding imprisonment of activist in Bahrain

Sebastian Vettel holds off Lewis Hamilton for victory in Bahrain F1 Grand PrixSebastian Vettel holds off Lewis Hamilton for victory in Bahrain F1 Grand Prix

Homemade bombs found the day before Bahrain F1 raceHomemade bombs found the day before Bahrain F1 race

Di Resta hails Bahrain performanceDi Resta hails Bahrain performance

More in this Section

Nowhere to hide for Pogba after penalty gaffeNowhere to hide for Pogba after penalty gaffe

Dubs’ Rowe determined to break Rebel heartsDubs’ Rowe determined to break Rebel hearts

Hogan can bounce backHogan can bounce back

The outside influence that helped Tipp to Promised LandThe outside influence that helped Tipp to Promised Land


Lifestyle

From Turkey to Vietnam, here’s where the chef and food writer has fallen in love with on her travellers.Sabrina Ghayour’s top 5 cities for foodies to visit

Dr Dympna Kavanagh, chief dental officer, Department of Health (University College Cork graduate)Working Life: Dr Dympna Kavanagh, chief dental officer, Department of Health

Like most Irish kids of our generation, chillies, spicy food, heat were never really big aspects of our formative eating experiences.Currabinny Cooks: Getting spicy in the kitchen

New Yorker Jessica Bonenfant Coogan has noticed a curious discrepancy between east and west when it comes to Cork county; arts infrastructure has tended to be better resourced in the west of Ireland’s largest county.Making an artistic mark in East Cork

More From The Irish Examiner