Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is to hold a press conference at the Bernabeu at 12:30pm on Tuesday to explain why the club failed to sign David de Gea from Manchester United.
United and Madrid had agreed a transfer worth £29million for the goalkeeper, but the deal collapsed at the last minute because the Spanish club did not register the requisite paperwork before Monday’s 11pm deadline.
After receiving heavy criticism for their actions, Perez has decided to respond.
The Madrid president will go in front of the cameras at 12:30pm to shed more light on the matter and possibly to reveal whether the club will lodge an appeal over the botched transfer.
A statement on Madrid’s website on Tuesday read: “Real Madrid president Florentino Perez will appear today in front of the media at 13:30 (local time) in the palco de honor (room) at the Santiago Bernabeu.”
Real Madrid have released a statement on their website. This translation is courtesy of Google so not perfect - but you get the gist.
After the events of yesterday in relation to the alleged hiring of David de Gea player, Real Madrid wishes to state:
1. Manchester United did not open through negotiation by the federal rights of David de Gea until morning yesterday.
2. Real Madrid, despite the difficulties of an operation of this kind in the last day of registration, agreed to initiate these conversations.
3. When the Manchester United accessed through negotiation this morning yesterday makes it contingent to reaching an agreement with Real Madrid player Keylor Navas to be incorporated from the British club this season, and reports that contacts with representatives of the player.
4. Real Madrid and Manchester United reach a rapid agreement on the transfer of both players. After the drafting of the relevant contractual documents required and in order to proceed with sufficient time to process both the FIFA Transfer Matching System (TMS) as its entry in the LFP time, Real Madrid Manchester United forwards contracts at 13 . 39 hour Spanish
5. The Manchester United sent its comments to the contracts eight hours later, at 21:43 Spanish time, including minor modifications. Not being relevant, all changes were accepted immediately by Real Madrid, with the intention to register the player while both TMS and Professional Football League.
6. Real Madrid after signatures Players and Keylor Navas De Gea, sent the English club said contracts signed at 23:32 Spanish time, we await to receive the final documents signed by Manchester United.
7. The Manchester United reached the final agreement with representatives of Keylor Navas at 23:53 Spanish time and is at that time when the contracts are sent to the player to be signed.
8. The Manchester United entered the TMS data from the operation of David de Gea, not those of Keylor Navas, at 00:00 Spanish time, simultaneously referring to Real Madrid transfer contracts signed. Real Madrid receives the full documentation at 00:02 and tries to access the TMS but it was already closed.
9. At 00:26 Spanish time the computer system of FIFA TMS makes an invitation to Real Madrid to fill Player data David de Gea, given that the deadline for registration in England remains open to this day. Real Madrid, in the eventuality of a contentious course of the transfer of the player, decided to refer the contract to the Professional Football League, even knowing that the deadlines had expired.
10. In short, the Real Madrid has made everything you need, and at all times, to carry out these two transfers.