Peterborough secure Championship promotion

Peterborough clinched second spot and promotion to the Coca-Cola Championship with a 1-0 win over Colchester today.

Charlie Lee scored the only goal of the game five minutes from time and they never looked like conceding the equaliser as they sealed their second successive promotion.

They are now six points clear of Millwall who leapt into third spot thanks to a 2-1 win over Leyton Orient.

Simon Church opened the scoring for the visitors two minutes into the second half but a brace for former O’s striker Gary Alexander gave the hosts the three points.

Millwall move a point above MK Dons who lost 1-0 at home to Walsall today, with Jabo Ibehre scoring the winner just after the hour mark.

Jermaine Beckford’s goal on 60 minutes gave Leeds a 1-0 win at Hartlepool which secured their place in the playoffs.

Tranmere suffered a blow in their race for the last play-off place as they were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Yeovil.

Jonathan Obika fired the visitors in front in the 67th minute before Tranmere, who now have not lost at home for 18 matches, scored the equaliser 12 minutes from time.

The hosts move into sixth spot but are only a point above Scunthorpe who have a game in hand.

At the other end of the table Cheltenham were relegated as they could only draw 1-1 against fellow strugglers Carlisle who ended the game with nine men.

Ian Harte put Carlisle ahead in the 19th minute but their chances of a vital victory took a blow when Evan Horwood was sent off in the 67th minute.

And things went from bad to worse nine minutes from time when Michael Bridges was sent off for handball and Drissa Diallo stepped up to convert the ensuing penalty.

The point was not enough for the hosts after relegation rivals Northampton beat Hereford 2-1.

Andy Williams scored a stunning goal in the 51st minute for Hereford to level matters after Andy Holt had opened the scoring on the half-hour mark but Jason Crowe secured a vital win for the hosts.

Northampton move above Brighton on goal difference after they twice came from behind to draw 2-2 at Huddersfield.

Booth, playing his last home game for Huddersfield before his retirement at the end of the season headed the hosts in front but Calvin Andrew equalised shortly before half-time.

The second half saw Michael Collins restored Huddersfield’s lead before Lloyd Owusu snatched a vital point for the visitors.

Elsewhere, Oldham and Southend played out a 1-1 draw with Lee Barnard’s goal on the hour mark cancelling out Neal Eardley’s 51st minute penalty.

In the earlier kick-off Swindon beat Bristol Rovers 2-1 thanks to a Simon Cox brace either side of Darryl Duffy’s equaliser.

More in this Section

West Ham boss Pellegrini surprised by Everton’s strugglesWest Ham boss Pellegrini surprised by Everton’s struggles

Robertson wary of Manchester United threat and insists form is irrelevantRobertson wary of Manchester United threat and insists form is irrelevant

Irish fans in mad dash to swap quarter-final ticketsIrish fans in mad dash to swap quarter-final tickets

WATCH: Japanese team a hit off the pitch too with rock-paper-scissors videoWATCH: Japanese team a hit off the pitch too with rock-paper-scissors video


Mountaintop monasteries, vicious-looking vultures, and a seriously impressive cable car.As Ryanair launches flights to Armenia, here’s why it deserves to be your next holiday destination

Jools Holland and his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra played a storming gig at Cork Opera House, writes Des O'Driscoll Live Music Review: Jools Holland and his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra

Concerns about people’s ability to access their own money have been growing – here’s what the debate is all about.Are we actually going to end up as a cashless society?

Esther N McCarthy mixes it up with spins on kitchen classics, Munster-based design news plus an absolute diamond of a poufMade in Munster: Wish list of the best products in the province

More From The Irish Examiner