Páirc Uí Chaoimh pitch ‘completely reconstructed’

Páirc Uí Chaoimh pitch ‘completely reconstructed’

The company overseeing the replacement of the pitch at Páirc Uí Chaoimh have expressed delight at the progress of the work.

This week, SIS Pitches begin the next phase of the project which will involve millions of tiny polyethylene fibres being injected into the surface over the next two weeks.

SIS Pitches founder and chief executive, George Mullan, explained: “The pitch is being completely reconstructed.

“It was seeded about six weeks ago — with seeds from a Cork company, Goldcrop — and now has full grass coverage. Indeed we are out cutting it every day.

“That entire process has gone really well, and we have had great cooperation from the Cork County Board since arriving on site.

“We will now be using our SISgrass machine to stitch the fibres into the 13,000 square metres of pitch.

“It equates to a couple of million tiny holes.

“What happens then is that the roots of the grass will bind around the inserted fibres and that will give better stability which in turn means the pitch can take more games.

“This is a system that is used for pitches in most of the big stadiums around the world. “SISGrass is a 95% natural grass pitch with synthetic fibres making up the other 5%.

“We should be finished that work in about 12 days or so and everything remains on target for the first games to be played there when the Allianz Leagues come around next spring.”

Soccer Podcast: The Noel Mooney Interview — Will the FAI show League of Ireland the love?

More on this topic

No plans to install HawkEye at Páirc Uí ChaoimhNo plans to install HawkEye at Páirc Uí Chaoimh

Páirc in the frame to host Munster-Leinster rugby clashPáirc in the frame to host Munster-Leinster rugby clash

Review: Rod Stewart rocks Leeside with high energy entertainment Review: Rod Stewart rocks Leeside with high energy entertainment

Páirc Uí Chaoimh looks ‘ready to go’, says Tracey KennedyPáirc Uí Chaoimh looks ‘ready to go’, says Tracey Kennedy


More in this Section

Home thoughts from abroadHome thoughts from abroad

At war for the survival of Rugby CountryAt war for the survival of Rugby Country

Bournemouth end long wait for a win at SouthamptonBournemouth end long wait for a win at Southampton

City boss Fenn still looking for first win; Dundalk close in on titleCity boss Fenn still looking for first win; Dundalk close in on title


Lifestyle

For an instant supper or lunch, fishcakes can be nourishing, warming and tasty. To complete a balanced meal, all it takes is some stirfried or roasted root vegetables.Taste of the sea: Top 8 fish cakes

My seven-year-old stood tall, whispered “bravery” to herself and stepped into the pitch-black dungeon. I stood there and watched her disappear.Learner Dad: I hate nostalgia, I think it’s mawkish and sentimental

Dr Phil Kieran says head lice is incredibly common among school children and offers practical advice on how to remove the crawlers with easy treatments.Tackling head lice: Easy treatments to remove itchy creepers

Gráinne Healy only started running regularly a few years ago. She’s already completed 50 parkruns. She tells Rowena Walsh what motivates her.Ageing with Attitude: Parkruns and quiet Friday nights

More From The Irish Examiner