Kenny Dalglish will hope he has provided the right answers for Liverpool’s owners having flown to the United States to discuss the Reds’ disappointing season.
Liverpool manager Dalglish was required, as is the usual practice, to produce a review detailing a wide range of issues relating to their eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League – their lowest for 18 years.
The significance of the fact he travelled to America to discuss it personally with principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner has been played down by the club, who insist it is simply part of the review and planning process.
However, the Sunday newspaper headlines suggesting the American owners were eyeing up Wigan boss Roberto Martinez as a potential successor, combined with a 14th defeat of the campaign at Swansea, could not have come at a worse time for Dalglish.
Despite ending a six-year trophy drought with the Carling Cup in February and reaching the FA Cup final, concerns remain about Liverpool’s league form.
In terms of points Liverpool finished closer to the relegation zone than they did to the top four, which was the supposed minimum requirement at the start of the campaign for the owners.
Dalglish, however, maintains his 16-month reign has been “not too bad” – even considering the significant investment the Americans have made during that time.
“There have been some positive things but there has been the disappointment of performances not being matched by results – but we will just carry on,” he said.
“When you consider the season before when we were out of both cups in January and when I came in we were only four points away from relegation, it’s not been too bad.
“In the league (the players) have not got what they deserved for their performance and in the cup ties we’ve only lost one so that’s not bad.”
Apart from a couple of occasions Dalglish has steadfastly stuck by his players and although there will have to be some strengthening in the summer he will be relying on the same core group to produce better results.
Throughout he has praised their commitment to the cause and he sees no reason to deviate from that even though the season ended with another defeat.
“We have to keep – and have kept – believing what they are doing is correct and the passing and moving has been excellent at times,” said the Reds boss.
“It’s a credit the way they have continued to believe that the way we are playing is the right way.
“I don’t know what is going to happen next season. We can’t take any points from this year to next year so everyone starts afresh.
“Confidence and belief comes with getting results.
“Eventually it will drop for us but we need to wait until August to get it out of our system.
“It’s a long time to August but the pleasing thing for us was that they did play really well (during the season) and they are capable of playing well.”
In the last month Fenway Sports Group’s restructuring of the club has led to the departures of director of football Damien Comolli, head of sports science Peter Brukner and, on Friday, director of communications Ian Cotton.