Ospreys came back to rescue a draw against Glasgow

Ospreys came back to rescue a draw against Glasgow


Ospreys and Glasgow played out a hard-fought and entertaining Guinness Pro12 draw at the Liberty Stadium.

Ospreys were indebted to full-back Dan Evans’ try 11 minutes from time which helped to draw the scores level after wing Eli Walker had crossed in the first half. Man of the match Sam Davies supplied 10 points with the boot, although he missed a late drop goal.

For Glasgow there were tries for wing Rory Hughes and replacement prop Gordon Reid. Outside-half Duncan Weir kicked two penalties and two conversions.

The result leaves Ospreys and Glasgow still out of the Pro12 Champions Cup qualification places in seventh and eighth respectively.

With Six Nations calls and injuries, Ospreys made nine changes but saw South Africa centre JJ Engelbrecht making his debut off the bench in the second half.

Scotland would have been pleased to see Glasgow back-rower Josh Strauss come off the bench for the final 35 minutes after missing four weeks with concussion.

Glasgow came out of the blocks well as Ospreys struggled to deal with wave after wave of early attacks. The positive start earned Glasgow two Weir penalties in the first eight minutes.

Ospreys managed to stem the early tide even though Davies saw a long-range penalty rebound off the left upright. He then got his side on the scoreboard with an easier penalty on the 20-minute mark.

Ospreys were struggling to get decent possession from the line-out but it was from that platform they scored a brilliant converted try on 24 minutes.

Rory Thornton won the line-out, fed Jason Leonard and Josh Matavesi put Walker through on an angled run before Davies added the extras.

But Ospreys’ 10-6 lead was short-lived, with Glasgow wing Hughes finishing off a great team try after his wing partner Lee Jones had made an incisive break into the home side’s half.

Glasgow went into half-time 13-10 up but it could have been more had Weir not been off target with a long-range effort – the final action of the half.

Ospreys were not helped by losing Sam Underhill to injury late in the first half and Walker at half-time.

Davies drew the scores level with a penalty four minutes after the restart before Reid crashed over after good work down the right by wing Jones.

Davies and Weir both missed penalty shots at goal on 57 and 63 minutes respectively before the match was put in the melting pot with a series of attacks from the Ospreys, with Evans eventually breaking clear to score. Davies converted to lock the scores at 20-20.

After Davies missed a drop-goal shot, a break by Owen Watkin looked like setting up a runaway winning try for Tom Grabham but the Ospreys wing was caught after stumbling.

More in this Section

In pictures: Tributes paid to Kobe BryantIn pictures: Tributes paid to Kobe Bryant

New FAI President keen for Brian Kerr to return to FAINew FAI President keen for Brian Kerr to return to FAI

England prop Kyle Sinckler joins Bristol on two-year dealEngland prop Kyle Sinckler joins Bristol on two-year deal

Dear Basketball – Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning retirement letterDear Basketball – Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning retirement letter


It couldn't be easier to add life to soil, says Peter Dowdall.It’s good to get your hands dirty in the garden

Kya deLongchamps sees Lucite as a clear winner for collectors.Vintage View: Lucite a clear winner for collectors

Their passion for the adventures of JK Rowling’s famous wizard cast a love spell on Cork couple Triona Horgan and Eoin Cronin.Wedding of the Week: Passion for Harry Potter cast spell on Cork couple

After in-depth explainers on Watergate and the Clinton affair in seasons one and two, respectively, Slate podcast Slow Burn took a left turn in its third season, leaving behind politics to look at the Tupac-Notorious BIG murders in the mid-1990s.Podcast Corner: Notorious killings feature in Slow Burn

More From The Irish Examiner