Ortiz will not be Joshua’s next opponent, says promoter

Luis Ortiz’s promoter has revealed the Cuban heavyweight will not challenge Anthony Joshua on June 1 at Madison Square Garden.

Joshua, holder of the WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight titles, is searching for a new opponent ahead of his United States bow because of Jarrell Miller’s reported multiple drug test failures.

Ortiz, who has won his last three bouts since suffering the only professional defeat of his career to WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder last year, was among the frontrunners to step into the breach.

But King Kong Boxing ruled out the prospect, accusing Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn of making “low ball offers” and accusing him of using Ortiz as “a gimmick”.

“It’s a no go for June 1,” wrote King Kong Boxing on Instagram.

“We just received news from promoter that it’s a no go and it was all a gimmick and Hearns low ball offers will not be accepted.

Anthony Joshua will make his United States bow on June 1 (Nick Potts/PA)

“No contract even ever got sent so sorry to all the loyal fans .. Luis really wanted this title shot.”

Miller’s replacement is expected to be announced later this week, with Michael Hunter and Adam Kownacki said to be in contention to face Joshua.

- Press Association

More on this topic

Deontay Wilder targets Anthony Joshua after knockout win over Dominic Breazeale

Billy Joe Saunders wins WBO title with impressive points win

Deontay Wilder retains WBC heavyweight strap with swift knockout in New York

Fury and Whyte insist fight is on

More in this Section

Solving a lack of attacking flair will be top of Potter’s Brighton in-tray

Weekend talking points: Cork comeback breathes life into the Munster Championship

New Scotland boss Clarke sets sights on qualification for Euro 2020

Munster Championship attendances on the rise


Lifestyle

Making the most of Irish strawberries - Michelle Darmody shares her recipes

Making Cents: Help protect the planet and occupy the kids

Good Omens and great expectations

Review: Game of Thrones, Series Finale

More From The Irish Examiner