Update 9.10pm: Manchester United's postponed Premier League match against Bournemouth will be played on Tuesday at 8pm, the Premier League has announced.
Update 7.15pm: The device which forced the abandonment of Manchester United's Premier League clash with Bournemouth "wasn't viable", Greater Manchester Police have said.
What was supposed to be an important final league match of the campaign instead ended with fans being evacuated from the ground before kick-off, with players ushered off the pitch during the warm-up.
A security alert in the stadium's North West Quadrant led to spectators in the Stretford End and Sir Alex Ferguson Stand being evacuated from the ground, before the remaining fans were told to follow as the match had been abandoned due to a security alert.
Bomb disposal exerts carried out a controlled explosion on a suspect package just after 4.30pm and Great Manchester Police later announced in a statement on Twitter:
Bomb disposal experts carried out controlled explosion at Old Trafford on what is described as incredibly lifelike explosive device...— Greater Manchester Police (@gmpolice) May 15, 2016
Full assessment now concluded and found device wasn’t viable. A full search of the stadium is ongoing. Full update to follow.— Greater Manchester Police (@gmpolice) May 15, 2016
"Bomb disposal experts carried out a controlled explosion at Old Trafford on what is described as (an) incredibly lifelike explosive device.
"Full assessment now concluded and found device wasn't viable. A full search of the stadium is ongoing. Full update to follow."
The Army Bomb Dispoal unit have carried out a controlled explosion on the grounds of Old Trafford.
The Premier League has released a statement saying they made the decision to cancel the game and evacuate the stadium after police advice.
The statement also said the safety of supporters and employees is foremost priority and they hope to reschedule the match as soon as is practical.
The bomb disposal unit has arrived at Old Trafford.
Police are advising people to avoid the area around Old Trafford if possible.
An eye witness Rachel Blewitt has said the evacuation process has been very calm and no one is panicking.
The Manchester United match against Bournemouth which was supposed to take place at 3pm today has been cancelled.
At around 2.40pm an announcement was made for security personnel to invoke "operation red code" and it soon became evident fans were leaving the South Stand and Stretford End.
Due to the discovery of a suspect package in the NW Quadrant of the ground, the match has been abandoned today on police advice. #mufc— Manchester United (@ManUtd) May 15, 2016
The North Stand and the East Stand, where the Bournemouth supporters were seated, did not appear to be affected.
The moment it was announced at Old Trafford that the match had been abandoned pic.twitter.com/tnMsOxFXbR— Simon Peach (@SimonPeach) May 15, 2016
A suspect package has been found in the North-West quadrant on the grounds of Old Trafford and police are currently on the scene.
The bomb squad is currently en route to the scene.
Manchester United are battling Manchester City for Champions League qualification.
Manchester City's match at Swansea is being played as planned.
Manchester United's ground is being evacuated this afternoon.
It is understood authorities are asking visitors to leave Old Trafford due to an unspecified incident.
Partial evacuation of Old Trafford pic.twitter.com/GkFbO0MMsm— Henry Winter (@henrywinter) May 15, 2016
Manchester United were scheduled to play Bournemouth this evening with a 3pm kick off.
A security alert is now underway.
Sniffer dogs have been brought in to search the empty stands.
More as we get it.