MMA fighter dies in Beaumont Hospital following fight in the National Stadium

Portuguese MMA fighter Joao Carvalho has died following his defeat to Irish fighter Charlie Ward in the National Stadium.

Carvalho was rushed to Beaumont Hospital on Saturday night after the fight and his death was confirmed this morning by his fight team.


His club Nóbrega team said in the statement (translated by Google): “The Nobrega Team confirm the death of athlete Joao Carvalho.

“It is with great dismay and sadness that we write these words, saying that the death of the athlete João Carvalho happened after 48 hours in critical condition.”

Ward, an SBG fighter and teammate of Conor McGregor, defeated the Portuguese in the third round of their welterweight fight.

Joao Carvalho (right) fighting Charlie Ward at the National Stadium, Dublin on Saturday April 9, 2016. Picture: Dave Fogarty

Total Extreme Fighting (TEF), offered their condolences to the fighter’s family in a statement.

"The TEF Team are deeply saddened by the news of Team Carvalho's death. Last night 11th of April, mixed martial artist Joao Carvalho passed away after two days of the best medical care and treatment in Beaumont Hospital following his three round TKO stoppage defeat on Saturday 9th April at the National Stadium in Dublin."

"Following the referee stoppage Joao, who was representing Portuguese club Team Nobrega, was assessed by doctors and medical staff at the onsite medical office as per normal procedure.

"It was determined that he should be sent to hospital. In hospital he received emergency treatment and transferred to ICU later that evening. Formal hospital medical reports and procedures are still being carried out.”

CEO of TEF Cesar Silva,also said: "We extend our most sincere condolences to the family of João Carvalho's and his teammates in Team Nobrega.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with them. We'd also like to thank all sports fans for their concern and support. We will give whatever support we can to Joao's family.

"We have been in contact with his family and they have requested that we all understand their need for privacy at this difficult time."

Silva said yesterday that all safety precautions had been taken at the event.

“(The) fight was SAFE MMA approved, with three doctors and paramedics present,” Silva told the Irish Daily Star.


Related Articles

Nurmagomedov lays down a challenge to Mayweather

Khabib Nurmagomedov threatens to quit UFC

Police confirm no arrests following post-fight melee at UFC 229

Conor McGregor seeks Nurmagomedov rematch after ugly scenes following his defeat

More in this Section

Mighty Mourneabbey claim five in a row

Moyle Rovers and Ardfinnan pull off shocks in Tipperary

Wilder apologises for any injury caused after punching mascot on US television

Declan Boyle secures championship after eighth in Ballybofey


Breaking Stories

As Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson allegedly split, here’s how grief can affect your relationship

Theatre review: The Nightingale and the Rose

1 year since Alyssa Milano’s first #MeToo tweet: Have things actually changed for women?

What to wear to a job interview according to a style expert

More From The Irish Examiner