MK Dons appalled by Aneke racist abuse

MK Dons say they are “appalled” after their forward Chuks Aneke was the subject of a racist social media post on Sunday.

The post was published on Instagram following Dons’ 2-1 defeat to Tranmere the previous day and was allegedly uploaded by a Rovers supporter.

Dons described the abuse in a statement as “totally disgusting and unacceptable”, while in a separate statement Tranmere insist they have a “zero tolerance of hate crime” and say they have referred the post to the police, vowing to impose bans if any of their fans are involved.

A statement from MK Dons said: “MK Dons is aware of a racist social media post, made on Sunday 14 April, which was directed at one of our players, Chuks Aneke.

“Needless to say, the club is appalled at the nature of this totally disgusting and unacceptable post. The individual responsible must be held to account and we will play our part in working towards that outcome.

“Like many in the game, MK Dons are distressed by the increasing number of racism incidents which are sadly, and once again, tarnishing football.

“As well as providing Chuks with whatever support he needs, we will continue to work with our players, our supporters, and all those in football, as well as others in society, so that together we can eradicate all forms of discrimination from our game.”

Former Arsenal trainee Aneke, 25, played the full match at Prenton Park, where the Dons were beaten by one of their rivals for automatic promotion from League Two.

A statement from Tranmere on Sunday night said: “Earlier this evening, [we] were made aware of a racist social media post which we have already referred to the police and we shall provide them with all of the assistance they require to investigate the matter.

“In addition, we have already commenced our own enquiries and, in the event that the racist comment involves one or more of our fans, we shall not hesitate to issue the appropriate bans.

“We have a record of zero tolerance of hate crime and such behaviour has no place in our club or in football.

“Until the police investigation and our own enquiries have been completed, the club will be making no further comment.”

Danny Rose, right, was subjected to racist abuse in Podgorica (Nick Potts/PA)

The news follows a series of instances of racism rearing its head in football in the past few weeks.

England duo Danny Rose and Callum Hudson-Odoi were targeted with monkey chants during the Euro 2020 qualifier away to Montenegro last month. Rose has since said he cannot wait to see the back of football, because he does not feel enough is done within the sport to combat racism.

Last week Chelsea supporters were filmed singing an Islamophobic song about Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah, while Greater Manchester Police are investigating anti-Semitic chanting by a group of West Ham supporters on a tram in Manchester on their way to Old Trafford to see their side face United in the Premier League.

- Press Association

GAA podcast: Cork SHC preview, Ilen shock. GAA's hip injury epidemic?

More on this topic

Manchester United condemn racial abuse of Ashley Young

Kick It Out calls for action after Ashley Young is targeted with racial abuse

Hennessey defence shows need for education – Kick It Out

West Ham vows to ban supporters filmed singing anti-Semitic abuse on tram

More in this Section

Scottish Football Association has unrealistic expectations – George Burley

GAA to expand hurling referee roster

How Manchester City can still make history despite end of Champions League dream

Richie McCarthy vows Limerick career won't end like this


Lifestyle

This is why you really should go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day

Ask Audrey: My neighours are sound-proofing their bedroom - does that make them pervs?

How Ireland's only female executioner got the job

Scene and heard: This week's entertainment news

More From The Irish Examiner