Mick Barrett, the Mayo fan who came to national attention when he invaded the pitch during the Kerry-Mayo All-Ireland semi-final replay, is determined to fight the sanction he has received for the incident.
It was reported yesterday that the Central Competitions Control Committee have decided to punish Barrett with a one-year ban from all GAA games and related activities.
Speaking to the Irish Examiner the Mayo fan said the reports in the papers were the first he knew of the punishment.
“I got whispers that something was happening but the first I heard about a ban was in the paper on Wednesday morning,” said Barrett. “I was never called to any meeting or never received any letter or contact about a ban.”
He is adamant that he has done nothing wrong and intends to appeal the decision.
My plan now is to appeal this ban, but I’m not sure how I go about doing that.”
He continued: “I don’t think I have done anything wrong. But in saying that, there has been mixed reaction to what I did, here in Mayo — some people thought I did the right thing and others thought I didn’t.”
Barrett also told the Irish Examiner that the location of the match was at fault for the pitch invasion.
“But the first thing I would say is that it wouldn’t have happened if the game had been played in Croke Park - where it should have been - and not in Limerick.” said Barrett.
“There is no way I would have been allowed anywhere near the pitch in Croke Park.”