Martinez to declare plans on Tuesday

Liverpool’s hunt for a new manager could be over after it emerged that Roberto Martinez was set to announce his future plans on Tuesday.

It is understood that Wigan will hold a press conference this week in which Martinez is expected to announce whether or not he will stay at the club.

The 38-year-old met Liverpool’s owners in Miami on Thursday to discuss the managerial vacancy and was not put off by the huge challenge that would face any new manager.

However, it is understood Martinez has not made up his mind completely whether to accept that challenge and has given himself until Tuesday to do so.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan claimed on Friday the Spaniard had received an offer from Liverpool’s principal owner John Henry after their meeting in Miami on Thursday.

Doubts emerged over Whelan’s interpretation of the situation, with the Reds refusing to comment amid the general belief no formal offer had been made.

Martinez’s appointment would doubtless divide opinion among Liverpool supporters, some of whom may have been expecting a bigger name to be recruited to replace the sacked Kenny Dalglish.

But captain Steven Gerrard has already pledged his full support to Martinez should he get the job.

Gerrard, preparing for last night’s England friendly against Norway, was a big supporter of Dalglish but cautiously welcomed the idea of Martinez taking charge.

“We’ll have to wait and see,” said the midfielder. “My focus has been on the game. I’m aware Roberto Martinez has been talking to the club but all I’ve heard about him is positive. If he is going to be the manager, he’s got my full support.”

Throughout the process, Whelan has insisted it was not a foregone conclusion he would lose his manager to the club’s north west rivals, claiming there were still some issues – mainly surrounding working under a technical director – to be overcome before Martinez would even be in a position to accept.

“He went to Miami and had a very constructive meeting with the owner of Liverpool,” the Latics chairman told Sky Sports News.

“They’re going to talk again on Tuesday. They’ve made Roberto an offer and he has agreed to consider it.

“He’s said, ’What are my responsibilities?’ These are American owners and the rules and regulations are a bit different from what we English set down.

“Roberto is a seven-days-a-week, 12-hours-a-day worker and I don’t know whether they realise how hard he works.

“He has rules and regulations to be fully in charge of football and I know he won’t move anywhere unless he is fully in charge of the football.

“I think he’ll give it fair consideration. Hopefully, he stays with us but, wherever he goes, he’s 100% dedicated to that football club.”

Liverpool, who have also been linked with former Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas and Swansea’s Brendan Rodgers, are looking to finalise the technical director post, with which Dutchman Louis van Gaal has been linked.

More in this Section

Anthony Joshua wears ‘precautionary’ knee brace at Black Lives Matter marchAnthony Joshua wears ‘precautionary’ knee brace at Black Lives Matter march

Coronavirus wrap: Matchday protocols emerge while Djokovic casts US Open doubtsCoronavirus wrap: Matchday protocols emerge while Djokovic casts US Open doubts

Bayern Munich continue march to Bundesliga title with comeback win at LeverkusenBayern Munich continue march to Bundesliga title with comeback win at Leverkusen

Silverstone boss hopes ‘top of the bill’ F1 double-header can attract new fansSilverstone boss hopes ‘top of the bill’ F1 double-header can attract new fans


Lifestyle

Throw all the veg you’ve got into this easy dish.Jack Monroe’s recalibration supper recipe

In a time when our shopping and cooking needs to be efficient and easy, we are bringing back our One List, Five Meals recipe pages.Michelle Darmody's One list, Five meals

What is the future of fashion and how will the ‘high street’ look when this is all over? Corina Gaffey asks those in the knowThe future of fashion: How the crisis will impact the retail industry and what we wear

Surveying the global market, Des O’Sullivan says when the going gets tough, the tough get goingHow art world is putting changed times in picture

More From The Irish Examiner