Twitter is having great fun with the news that firefighters were called to Chris Smalling’s house last night - after the Manchester United star's hot tub caught fire.
Manchester Evening News reports that emergency services were called to his luxurious home in Altrincham after police on patrol in the area noticed smoke coming from the property.
They found a large whirlpool bath alight in the back garden and the fire spreading to nearby decking.
A spokesman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: “Just after 8pm on Tuesday, May 12, 2015, a crew from Altrincham Fire Station attended a house in Altrincham after reports of a fire in a back garden.”
Smalling was not at home at the time and the fire was reportedly as a result of an electrical fault.
That didn’t stop online commenters having great fun with the news.
"Chris Smalling: He'd start a fire in a jacuzzi." Yep. Sounds about right.— Tony Cuddihy (@Tony_Cuddihy) May 13, 2015
To add fuel to the fire (sorry) Smalling had earlier posted a picture on Instagram suggesting he was enjoying a poker night at home.
Even Smalling's unfortunate team-mate Phil Jones was dragged into the story.
I wish I'd been there to see the look on everyone's face when Phil Jones started messing with the Hot Tub control panel.— Jack (@jackejc8_7) May 13, 2015
And no-one was letting the fact that Smalling wasn't there interfere with the fun.
Chris Smalling: "I'm telling you lads, I saw it in a documentary... just attach a petrol tank to it and the hot tub becomes a time machine."— Jonny Sharples (@JonnyGabriel) May 13, 2015