Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish in hospital with coronavirus

Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish in hospital with coronavirus

Liverpool great Kenny Dalglish has tested positive for coronavirus but “remains asymptomatic”, his family have said in a statement.

The 69-year-old former Celtic, Liverpool and Scotland player was admitted to hospital on Wednesday for a “treatment of an infection which required intravenous antibiotics”.

In a statement, Premier League leaders Liverpool said: “In keeping with current procedures, he was subsequently tested for Covid-19 despite having previously displayed no symptoms of the illness. Unexpectedly, the test result was positive but he remains asymptomatic.

“Prior to his admission to hospital, Sir Kenny had chosen to voluntarily self isolate for longer than the advised period together with his family.

“He would urge everyone to follow the relevant government and expert guidance in the days and weeks ahead.”

The statement added: “He would like to take this opportunity to thank the brilliant NHS staff, whose dedication, bravery and sacrifice should be the focus of the nation’s attention at this extraordinary time.

Dalglish, pictured as a Liverpool player in 1982 (PA)
Dalglish, pictured as a Liverpool player in 1982 (PA)

“He would also ask that they are given the space to do their jobs during what is an extremely challenging time for them and that his own family’s privacy is respected.

“He looks forward to being home soon. We will provide further updates as and when it is appropriate.”

More on this topic

Hancock promises to query if fines for childcare travel should be reconsideredHancock promises to query if fines for childcare travel should be reconsidered

Holohan defends State handling of Covid-19 crisis in nursing homesHolohan defends State handling of Covid-19 crisis in nursing homes

FBD digs its heels in on payment issue as Covid claim cases top 700FBD digs its heels in on payment issue as Covid claim cases top 700

Pilots urge Govt to rethink 'blanket' quarantine and base it on region’s Covid-19 riskPilots urge Govt to rethink 'blanket' quarantine and base it on region’s Covid-19 risk