Liverpool dismiss claims they have approached Carlo Ancelotti

Liverpool dismiss claims they have approached Carlo Ancelotti

Liverpool have vehemently dismissed claims they have approached Carlo Ancelotti about the possibility of succeeding manager Brendan Rodgers.

A report claimed the veteran Italian, a Champions League winner with AC Milan and Real Madrid, had been sounded out by owners Fenway Sports Group about taking over at Anfield.

Liverpool dismiss claims they have approached Carlo Ancelotti

However, that was immediately rubbished by the club with sources suggesting such a move would be completely out of character with the way the Americans have run things to date.

Rodgers survived a robust end of season review after a dismal finale to a campaign which reached its nadir with the 6-1 humbling at Stoke on the final day.

Having retained the backing of FSG – despite losing his assistant manager and close friend Colin Pascoe and coach Mike Marsh in an enforced backroom shake-up - he was then given the best part of £80million to spend on new signings, splashing £32.5million on his primary target Christian Benteke and a potential £29million on Roberto Firmino.

Neither have found their feet so far and Rodgers is still searching for his best XI and formation having switched from 4-3-3 to 3-4-1-2 in Sunday’s home draw with Norwich.

But despite a stuttering start to this season – they have not won in five matches – leaving them 13th in the Premier League but only four points off fourth place, which remains the minimum target for Rodgers.

Liverpool host League Two side Carlisle in the Capital One Cup on Wednesday looking to end their win-less run.

More in this Section

Arsenal’s winless streak continues as Brighton pull off stunning winArsenal’s winless streak continues as Brighton pull off stunning win

Chubby champ Andy Ruiz a 21st century Cinderella ManChubby champ Andy Ruiz a 21st century Cinderella Man

Paudie Murray backs new rules but says ending league semi-finals a ‘joke’Paudie Murray backs new rules but says ending league semi-finals a ‘joke’

Munster chief open to ‘eight-county provinces’ proposalMunster chief open to ‘eight-county provinces’ proposal


Lifestyle

The Marquee in Cork dominated the gig news this week, with a string of announcements for what is expected to be the final year at the Monahan Road venue before the site is developedScene + Heard: The most played artist on Spotify and all the latest music news

Esther N McCarthy picks perfect paperweights, brilliant books and Christmas collectables this week.Brilliant books and Christmas collectables - here's our wish list

John Spillane tells Ellie O’Byrne how he’s hoping to fund his next album by taking the bardic route of writing unique compositions for people on whatever they’d like‘I’ll write you a song for €1,000' - John Spillane's unique way to fund new album

From starring in a Cork-set film, to securing a role in Ridley Scott’s major new HBO series, it has been quite a year for Niamh Algar, writes Esther McCarthyIreland’s next big thing: Niamh Algar on her incredible year

More From The Irish Examiner