Klopp eyes Liverpool improvement after Anfield debut ends in draw

Klopp eyes Liverpool improvement after Anfield debut ends in draw

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp is confident better things are just around the corner after his Anfield debut fell a touch flat.

A 1-1 Europa League Group B draw against 10-man Rubin Kazan was not the way he would have wanted to announce himself to the home fans.

But the German sees room for improvement and is ready for the challenge of extracting more from his players.

“When you come for the first time in a new house, normally you have a present,” he said. “I am not quite satisfied with my present tonight but it was only the first time and I will come again.

“It was not a masterclass but it is not the worst day in my life. I would say 98% was okay, not perfect, the other 2% - that is the problem of this game.”

A third successive 1-1 draw leaves Liverpool in second place but four points behind group leaders Sion.

However, that gap does not concern Klopp too much as he prepares for the Reds’ trip to Russia in a couple of weeks.

“Sion won their game and they are away in the group. We can come back in Kazan. That is the next challenge,” he added.

Marko Devic scored a surprise opener for the visitors, who are fifth bottom in the Russian Premier League, but after captain Oleg Kuzmin was sent off for a second bookable offence Emre Can equalised via the resulting free-kick.

Liverpool should have pressed home their numerical advantage but the closest they came to a winner was when substitute Christian Benteke’s shot hit a post.

“Sometimes it is a big advantage against 10 men, most of the time they stop playing football and defend in a compact block,” said Klopp.

“We had our moments and hit the post through Christian but at the end (there was) no goal.”

More in this Section

Liam Silke among three changes for Galway's clash with TyroneLiam Silke among three changes for Galway's clash with Tyrone

Liverpool won’t panic after first-leg defeat to Atletico Madrid – Van DijkLiverpool won’t panic after first-leg defeat to Atletico Madrid – Van Dijk

Fury believes clash with Wilder is ‘biggest fight of last 50 years’Fury believes clash with Wilder is ‘biggest fight of last 50 years’

Klopp confident of Anfield boost in return leg as Atletico Madrid edge LiverpoolKlopp confident of Anfield boost in return leg as Atletico Madrid edge Liverpool


Lifestyle

THE number of children with mental health issues presenting to the paediatric emergency department in Temple Street has increased dramatically, according to a study by Dr Eoin Fitzgerald.Learning Points: Light at the end of the tunnel for mental health?

Cooking in the MasterChef kitchen is just as scary as you’d imagine, writes Georgia Humphreys.Sweet 16 as Masterchef returns

Martin Hayes doesn’t like to stand still. The fiddle virtuoso from East Clare has made it a hallmark of his career to seek out creative ideas from beyond his musical tradition.Martin Hayes: Breaking new ground

At this point, if we are talking about a collective consciousness and how to move forward, lets go back to basics and talk about what we teach our children and what we were taught ourselves, writes Alison Curtis.Mum's the Word: Children remind us, in a world where we can be anything, be kind

More From The Irish Examiner