Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins says the club will move quickly to replace Brendan Rodgers after the Northern Irishman decided to take up the chance to manage Liverpool.
Rodgers turned down an initial approach from Reds’ owners Fenway Sports Group two weeks ago due to concerns over the number of candidates being linked with the job.
But FSG, who had already held talks with Wigan boss Roberto Martinez, made a renewed approach to Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins on Tuesday night, with Rodgers on this occasion keen to hold discussions with Anfield chiefs.
Those talks were held on Wednesday and Rodgers has asked to leave so he can become Kenny Dalglish’s successor, with the two clubs hoping to finalise a compensation package, set to be worth between £4million and £5million, in the next 48 hours.
Jenkins and the Swansea board will face a tricky search to find a replacement for Rodgers, whose decision to leave came exactly a year after the Championship play-off success over Reading at Wembley.
Swansea’s attractive possession style of play won plenty of plaudits as they finished 11th in their maiden Premier League campaign, and the first-team squad has been put together with that in mind.
The Swans may find it difficult to find a replacement for Rodgers who would be prepared to wholeheartedly embrace his philosophy.
But Jenkins said: “Although we are disappointed to lose such a talented, young British manager, we didn’t wish to stand in his way.
“As always at Swansea City, we want people working here who are fully committed to the task ahead.
“We wish Brendan every success in the future.
“We will always remain good friends and we thank him for all his hard work and passion at this football club over the past two years.
“We shall now refocus and quickly start the process of finding his replacement to continue the great work Brendan has carried out at this football club.”
Swansea club captain Garry Monk admitted he was “gutted” by the news, but has backed the board to bring in the right man as the club prepare for next season.
“I’m gutted,” he told Sky Sports News. “He’s a top, top manager and we are very disappointed to lose him.
“He’s honest, treats us like adults and knows his football. His philosophy, views and training are inventive. We never do the same session more than twice and that makes it exciting.
“I think every manager is different but I think he’s got the ingredients to be a top, top manager.
“As much as we are gutted to lose him he’s earned the right to work for a club like Liverpool. He deserves this chance.
“There will be many names linked with the job but it’s important for the board to pick the right man.
“We’re a close knit club. Everyone sticks together so we’ll have to do that again.”