Irish middleweight boxer Michael O'Reilly has this evening admitted taking a supplement that may have contained a banned substance, writes Daniel McConnell, Political Editor.
As a result, as a result of the admission, O'Reilly is no longer contesting the provisional ban and as a result cannot box in Rio.
The news comes as Sports Minister Shane Ross met with Sport Ireland management today during which “a broad range of topics were discussed”.
O’Reilly has been engulfed in controversy since the Irish Examiner revealed he had failed a drugs test on the eve of the Rio Olympic Games commencing last Thursday.
When the story broke, the violation of the Olympic doping rules meant he was provisionally suspended from competing.
It has now emerged that O’Reilly had been tested before leaving for Brazil and says he was notified on August 4 that an adverse finding had been made against him.
A statement this evening, reported on the RTÉ News website, says he was given the "supplement by someone unrelated to his team or association".
It said O'Reilly disclosed, at the time of the test, that he had taken the supplement.
In the statement, the 23-year-old from the Portlaoise Boxing Club apologised to his fellow boxers, team mates, the Irish Athletic Boxing Association, Sport Ireland, the Olympic Council of Ireland and "all those who have supported" him.
The meeting between Minister Ross and Sport Ireland was the first since the O’Reilly controversy broke and while it is understood the matter was discussed, Minister Ross’ spokesman said the meeting was “pre-arranged and routine”.