Here's our 60-second report of how Munster fared against the Ospreys

Munster 23 Ospreys 3

Key moment: It was the try of the game in the 61st minute, effectively ending the Ospreys challenge in a game that until then seen the Welsh region stay in touch at 8-3 down. And what a score it was, Keith Earls collecting a long Ospreys clearance and with Francis Saili spotting a chance from deep. The All Black stepped on the gas, passed out of a tackle to Conor Murray whose quick hands moved it back to support runner Earls at top speed. Inside to Andrew Conway and one more pass to Simon Zebo to power over the line. Bleyendaal's conversion made it 15-3 and Munster were out of sight.

Talking point: Party time at Thomond Park will quickly turn to the sobering thought of facing a dangerous Scarlets side in scintillating form at the Aviva Stadium in next Saturday's Guinness Pro12 final. The West Wales region tore Leinster apart at the RDS on Friday night and will provide considerably different challenges to the Ospreys.

Key man: Francis Saili marked his final game at Thomond Park with a first-half try, a role in the try of the game mentioned above and right at the death denying Keelan Giles what would have been a flying try with a tap tackle that pushed the Welsh wing's foot into touch.

After two frustrating seasons in Ireland, the All Black will at least leave with a man of the match award.

Ref watch: English referee Luke Pearce had little controversy to deal with although he annoyed home supporters by allowing Ospreys to eat up time ahead of their lineouts. Pearce redeemed himself in their eyes by disallowing a late Ospreys penalty that could have given Munster a nervy finish, the TMO having spotted a knock-on from the preceding ruck.

Injuries: Keith Earls appeared injured before being replaced late on, having played with a limp for a few preceding minutes but otherwise, at first glance, Conor Murray got through 74 minutes in his first start since an eight-week lay-off for a shoulder injury.

Next up: So Munster move on to the Aviva Stadium for next Saturday's Pro12 final against Scarlets in an Irish-Welsh match-up, Rassie Erasmus's side looking to complete a remarkable season with silverware few thought was attainable at the outset of the campaign.

For the losing Lions, the Welsh quartet say goodbye to their domestic duties for another season and will join up with Warren Gatland's touring party as they gather at Carton House for a week's camp ahead of the trip to New Zealand.

Full match report:

Table toppers Munster booked their place in next Saturday's Guinness PRO12 final with a runaway 23-3 victory over Ospreys at Thomond Park.

Departing centre Francis Saili signed off at the province's Limerick fortress with a magnificent man-of-the-match performance as Munster set up a title decider with Scarlets at the Aviva Stadium.

A well-taken 25th-minute try from Saili, whose release by Munster at the end of the season was confirmed on Friday, saw the home side leading 8-3, with Dan Biggar and Tyler Bleyendaal kicking a penalty each.

Driven on by captain Alun Wyn Jones, who made a welcome return from a shoulder injury, the Welshmen began to wilt after Simon Zebo took his Munster record to 53 tries on the hour mark.

Bleyendaal converted and also added a penalty with 14 minutes remaining, before Andrew Conway crossed for a classy 74th-minute try as Munster moved within reach of their first PRO12 crown since 2011.

The eagerly-awaited duel between British and Irish Lions scrum-halves Conor Murray and Rhys Webb was shelved as the latter was withdrawn before kick-off with a groin injury that was not expected to keep him out of the final - should Ospreys have got there.

Webb's replacement Brendon Leonard had an inauspicious start, being blocked down by Murray and then knocking on at a lineout. But Ospreys had the first points on the board when Biggar slotted over a seventh-minute penalty.

Although the visitors dominated possession for much of the opening 40 minutes, Munster held them at arm's length with some well-organised and steely defence.

New Zealander Saili was Munster's liveliest runner and his efforts were rewarded with an opportunist try.

A monster maul ignited the hosts' attack and Rory Scannell did really well to keep the ball in play, close to the left touchline, before his centre partner Saili reacted quickest to pick up and cross from a few metres out.

Bleyendaal could not convert and although Biggar was also off target from a 31st-minute penalty, Ospreys skipper Jones continued to wield plenty of influence up front.

Munster began to get the edge at scrum time, particularly on Dave Kilcoyne's loosehead side, and a furious late assault on the Ospreys line, which saw Zebo held up short, ended with Bleyendaal's right boot putting them five points up at half-time.

Ospreys opened the second period with a snappy break from prop Nicky Smith, Munster hooker Niall Scannell soon returning the favour before Keith Earls was bundled into touch just a few metres out.

Ashley Beck and Dan Evans increased their influence with ball in hand as the Ospreys backs threatened as the hour approached, however the pack was soon pinged for obstruction at a maul.

After a CJ Stander effort was ruled inconclusive by TMO Graham Hughes, Munster somehow turned a Justin Tipuric hack downfield into a thrilling 60th-minute score, Earls and Saili setting up a breathless counter-attack that ended with Zebo grounding to the left of the posts.

Bleyendaal's conversion put 12 points between the sides and his 66th-minute penalty was a further blow to Ospreys, whose replacement hooker Scott Otten was unfortunate to have a cracking chip-and-chase try ruled out for a prior knock-on by Tom Habberfield.

Fittingly, the Munstermen closed out the scoring with a third try of the evening, moving the ball wide from their rock-solid scrum to set up winger Conway who showed great feet and finishing skills to make the line. Saili ensured a try shut-out for the hosts, showing great speed to deny Keelan Giles a last-minute consolation score.

More in this Section

Leigh Griffiths hits winner for Celtic against Partick Thistle

Manchester City end brave Bristol City’s cup run

New English women’s boss, Phil Neville, under fire for historical ’sexist’ tweet

It’s official. Martin O’Neill signs new deal with FAI

Today's Stories

Páraic Duffy: County boards will take blame if Championship not finished on schedule

Seamus Coleman plays 58 minutes on Everton return

Martin O’Neill signed up and ready to learn Nations League fate

Éamonn Fitzmaurice focus on Donegal but 2020 vision shapes Kerry thinking


The biggest cancer killer will take your breath away

Hopefully she had an idea...

Power of the press: Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks discuss 'The Post'

More From The Irish Examiner