Goal deep into injury time secures replay for Cavan with Tyrone

Goal deep into injury time secures replay for Cavan with Tyrone

Cavan 3-7 Tyrone 0-16

David Givney punched home an equalising goal deep into stoppage time to earn Cavan a second crack at Tyrone.

A gripping Ulster Football Championship semi-final will be replayed, back at Clones, on Sunday July 3.

The Red Hands appeared to have done enough to book their place in the decider when they eased three points clear in the closing stages, but they were unable to hold on, conceding a third goal right at the death.

David Givney gave Cavan a huge boost with a goal after just five minutes, finishing form close range after ‘keeper Mickey O’Neill had kept out a Martin Reilly effort.

Tyrone struggled to get their running game going, and it was Cavan’s Dara McVeety and Martin Reilly who kept the Breffni men on the offensive with their energetic work along the flanks.

McVeety tracked back to turn over possession and set his side on the attack, and by the 14th minute, they led by 1-3 to 0-2, with Tomas Corr and Cian Mackey cancelling out scores from Tyrone’s Cathal McShane and Connor McAliskey.

But the Red Hands made a few adjustments to counter Terry Hyland’s carefully designed match-ups, and enjoyed spells of dominance in the closing 20 minutes of the half.

Ronan O’Neill punished from placed balls, and Peter Harte pushed forward from the back, breaking tackles to tag on a point.

It was Colm Cavanagh who broke free from his sweeper role to get up the field and thump over a tremendous point to give Tyrone the lead for the first time in the 32nd minute.

Cavan varied their approach, and Givney, along with Killian Clarke, represented a significant threat under the high ball.

However, the Red Hands survived until stoppage time when their opponents struck another major blow.

Goalkeeper Raymond Galligan floated in a free from 70 metres, Gearoid McKiernan got a fist to the ball, and Conor Moynagh forced the ball over the line at the far post.

However, it was only after the referee’s attention had been drawn by an umpire that the ball had crossed the line that the goal was awarded, and the Breffni men went in with a 2-3 to 0-8 lead.

Goal deep into injury time secures replay for Cavan with Tyrone

The Donnelly brothers Richie and Mattie, both fired over points in the early stages of the second half to trim back the deficit, but the discipline of Cavan’s defending was admirable, and they frustrated the Red Hands for a spell, before going back on the attack.

Givney fired in a shot that was blocked out for a ’45 which Galligan converted, and they led by three when the tireless McVeety took Tomas Corr’s return pass to hit the target.

But Tyrone once again seized control, to reel off six points, regain the lead and place themselves on the cusp of victory.

Mattie Donnelly was a powerhouse in the engine-room, Niall Sludden pushed into an offensive role, and both players thumped over points as the Red Hand machine began to purr.

Sean Cavanagh and Connor McAliskey also landed quality scores, and they were denied a goal when Galligan pulled off a terrific save from Padraig McNulty, but Darren McCurry converted the resultant ’45 to put three points between the sides with almost 70 minutes on the clock.

Goal deep into injury time secures replay for Cavan with Tyrone

Cavan desperately needed a goal, and they struck gold again in stoppage time when Mackey crossed from the right to punch home and send a cliff-hanger to a rematch.

Tyrone: M O’Neill, A McCrory, R McNamee, C McCarron, T McCann, N Sludden (0-1), P Harte (0-1), C Cavanagh (0-1), M Donnelly (0-2), C McShane (0-1), M Bradley, R Donnelly (0-1), C McAliskey (0-2), S Cavanagh (0-1), R O’Neill (0-5 3f).

Subs: R Brennan for Bradley, C Meyler for McShane, D McCurry (0-1, ’45) for R Donnelly, P McNulty for McAliskey

Cavan: R Galligan (0-1, ’45), K Brady, K Clarke, R Dunne, F Flanagan (0-1), C Moynagh (1-0), N Murray (0-1), T Corr (0-1), G McKiernan, D McVeety (0-1), J McEnroe, M Reilly, D Givney (2-0), C Mackey (0-1), S Johnston (0-1, f).

Subs: E Keating for Johnston, P Faulkner for Clarke, C Brady for K Brady, J Brady for Moynagh

Referee: D Gough (Meath).

More in this Section

Italy’s rugby heartland at the epicentre of coronavirus ‘red zones’Italy’s rugby heartland at the epicentre of coronavirus ‘red zones’

Leeds goalkeeper Kiko Casilla handed eight-game suspensionLeeds goalkeeper Kiko Casilla handed eight-game suspension

Five key storylines to follow at the National Indoor ChampionshipsFive key storylines to follow at the National Indoor Championships

Weekend previews and predictions: Old rivalries renewed as League campaigns enter crunch phaseWeekend previews and predictions: Old rivalries renewed as League campaigns enter crunch phase


Spring has sprung and a new Munster festival promises to celebrate its arrival with gusto, says Eve Kelliher.Spring has sprung: Munster festival promises to celebrate with gusto

The spotlight will fall on two Munster architects in a new showcase this year.Munster architects poised to build on their strengths

Prepare to fall for leather, whatever the weather, says Annmarie O'Connor.Trend of the week: It's always leather weather

The starting point for Michael West’s new play, in this joint production by Corn Exchange and the Abbey, is an alternative, though highly familiar, 1970s Ireland. You know, elections every few weeks, bad suits, wide ties, and a seedy nexus of politics and property development.Theatre Review: The Fall of the Second Republic at Abbey Theatre, Dublin

More From The Irish Examiner