Chelsea have given AC Milan permission to talk to Didier Drogba but remain unwilling to part with former Rossoneri forward Andrei Shevchenko, the Milan vice president Adriano Galliani has claimed.
Milan are desperate to sign a new striker, particularly after Palermo forward Amauri chose a move to rivals Juventus ahead of a transfer to Milan.
Galliani has previously indicated Drogba is high on Ancelotti’s wish list, while Drogba himself was open about wanting to leave Chelsea in the wake of Jose Mourinho’s departure last September.
Shevchenko has had a rotten time at Stamford Bridge since his move from Milan two years ago and a return has long been rumoured.
The Ukrainian has strong ties with the club and in particular with Silvio Berlusconi, the former president who stepped down after being elected to his third term as prime minister and who is godfather to the striker’s son.
But while a deal for Drogba may materialise soon, Shevchenko looks set to stay in London.
“Chelsea have authorised us to open negotiations with Drogba,” Galliani told Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport.
“Unfortunately, Chelsea still consider Andriy unsellable. This decision makes us very sad.”
The Milan VP also revealed that Barcelona’s Samuel Eto’o was another player the club were talking to.
The Serie A club’s market consultant Ernesto Brozetti echoed Galliani’s admission, telling Corriere dello Sport: “Eto’o has expressed his desire to come to Milan.
“We have met with Eto’o’s agent after president Laporta gave us permission to.”
However, it is reported that Milan’s fifth-placed finish in Serie A last season - and their subsequent exclusion from next season’s Champions League, may prove a stumbling block in negotiations with the Cameroon international.
Meanwhile Milan’s interest in Arsenal’s Emmanuel Adebayor seems to have cooled.
Galliani highlighted the 24-year-old as a target on Friday, but have since been warned off the player by Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger.
On Sunday, in a separate interview with Gazzetta, the Frenchman reiterated his stance that Adebayor was not for sale.
He said: “In this case the situation seems clear to me too, given that (Adebayor’s) contract was renewed recently.”