Former Man City boss agrees deal to take over Italian national team

Roberto Mancini looks set to be the next Italy manager.

The former Manchester City boss is said to have agreed a two-year deal to take charge of the Azzuri.

The 53-year-old agreed to leave Zenit St Petersburg by mutual consent yesterday.

According to Sky Sports, Manicini has agreed a deal in principal Italian FA, which will see him take a significant pay cut from his previous post.

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte had previously been linked with the post.

He is expected to leave Stamford Bridge after Blues failed to qualify for the Champions League next season.

Conte says he is committed to seeing out the final year of his contract and beating Manchester United in the FA Cup final on Saturday.

Conte said after Chelsea lost their final Premier League game of the season 3-0 against Newcastle: "(I'm) here to play the last game in the FA Cup and then, as you know very well because I am repeating (myself) always...I am committed to this club."

Italy failed to reach the World Cup after losing out to Sweden in the play-offs.


Related Articles

Woman posts ‘realistic’ pic on Italian beach to fight ridiculous pressure for perfect holiday photos

Benettons’ roads firm fight after Genoa disaster

Latest: 20 people may still be missing after Italian bridge collapse

Latest: Dozens killed after 'immense tragedy' of bridge collapse in Genoa

More in this Section

Guardiola making no promises despite Foden’s ‘quality’

Tyson Fury set for title shot after victory against Francesco Pianeta

Cork through to another All-Ireland camogie final

Cristiano Ronaldo begins life in Serie A with Juventus victory


Today's Stories

Kicking the league when it’s down a mug’s game

If Limerick engineer the goal chances, Gillane won’t keep missing

John Kiely takes on the hype at its own game

The victors will be the worthiest All-Ireland champions in history. That’ll be Limerick.

More From The Irish Examiner