Footballer handed six-match ban for spitting at a spectator

Hartlepool have expressed their extreme disappointment at the Football Association’s decision to hand defender Carl Magnay a six-match ban for spitting at a spectator.

Magnay, 26, denied a charge of misconduct at a disciplinary hearing but the FA’s Independent Regulatory Commission found him guilty of the offence following an incident during Hartlepool’s defeat at Wycombe last month and have also fined him £750.

Hartlepool said in a brief statement that the club is waiting for the IRC’s written report before deciding how to respond but would continue to back the player.

“The club is extremely disappointed by the decision of the Independent Regulatory Commission following the charge made against Carl Magnay,” the club said.

“We will now await the written reasons for their verdict before deciding how best to proceed but would like to make it absolutely clear that Carl retains our full and unwavering support.”

Magnay, signed from Grimsby in the summer, was shown a straight red card for his challenge on Wycombe substitute Ryan Sellers and the incident is alleged to have taken place after his dismissal.

An FA statement read: “Hartlepool United’s Carl Magnay has been suspended for six matches and fined £750 after he was charged for spitting at a spectator.

“The incident occurred after his dismissal in the 85th minute of the game against Wycombe Wanderers on September 5, 2015.

“The charge, which he denied at a personal hearing, was found proven following an Independent Regulatory Commission.

“The player’s suspension is set aside pending receipt of the Regulatory Commission’s written reasons for the decision.”

Magnay, who has featured prominently for Ronnie Moore’s side this season, has already served a three-match ban for his red card.

More in this Section

Blackrock College triumph over Clongowes Wood to reach Leinster Schools Junior Cup semi-finalBlackrock College triumph over Clongowes Wood to reach Leinster Schools Junior Cup semi-final

Italy’s Gagli and Molinari reinstated in Oman Open field after coronavirus testItaly’s Gagli and Molinari reinstated in Oman Open field after coronavirus test

Italy’s Gagli and Molinari reinstated in Oman Open field after coronavirus testItaly’s Gagli and Molinari reinstated in Oman Open field after coronavirus test

Warren hoping Wilder will accept pay-off to waive Fury rematchWarren hoping Wilder will accept pay-off to waive Fury rematch


Lifestyle

Posh Cork's agony aunt: sorting out Cork people for ages.Ask Audrey: why aren't William and Kate coming to Cork?

Festival season approaches, legends come to the Opera House, and a young Irish phenomenon continues to impact on UK telly, writes Arts Editor Des O'Driscoll.Scene and Heard: 'the major voice of a generation'

In advance of this weekend’s Ortús festival of chamber music in Cork, musician and co-organiser Mairead Hickey talks violins with Cathy Desmond.Máiréad Hickey: ‘If money was no object, it would be lovely to play a Stradivarius’

Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason is thrilled to be playing the band’s older material in a new group that he’s bringing to Ireland. But what chances of a final reunion, asks Richard Purden.Pink Floyd's Nick Mason: over the moon

More From The Irish Examiner