Cork City takeover negotiations stalled

Finance consortium Quintas said tonight that negotiations with Cork City FC owner Tom Coughlan on the takeover of the club had stalled.

"An offer was made to the current owners of the club this afternoon and there has been no meaningful engagement in relation to the bid," a statement from the Quintas group said.

The group said that at this stage it was now focussing on the plan by FORAS, the Cork City Supporters Trust, to secure a First Division licence.

"The group would like to thank all the third parties that have been supportive of the bid and have facilitated the process," the statement said.

The group, fronted by Jim McCarthy, were first reported to be seeking to take over the embattled club late last year.

The consortium earlier set a deadline of midday today to complete the acquisition from current owner Coughlan.

Coughlan took over the Leeside outfit in October 2008 but they have been beset by financial woes.

More in this Section

Mikel Arteta feels Jamie Vardy should have been sent off before equaliserMikel Arteta feels Jamie Vardy should have been sent off before equaliser

Delfine Persoon staying mum on Katie Taylor rematchDelfine Persoon staying mum on Katie Taylor rematch

Peregrine clocks up win no.17 in stylePeregrine clocks up win no.17 in style

Late Jamie Vardy strike earns Leicester point at 10-man ArsenalLate Jamie Vardy strike earns Leicester point at 10-man Arsenal


Lifestyle

New drama series Mrs America stars Cate Blanchett, while Liverpool are among the teams in action in the Premier League.Wednesday's TV highlights: Mrs America and live Liverpool action

More From The Irish Examiner