Conor McGregor’s coach John Kavanagh has revealed that he’s “51% optimistic” that he will fight Nate Diaz at UFC 200.
His proposed opponent Nate Diaz is not optimisitic however, tweeting last night that he is taking a holiday.
Happy to announce that I'm going on vacation #gone #100 ✌🏼️— Nathan Diaz (@NateDiaz209) April 26, 2016
McGregor caused hysteria yesterday after announcing that the fight was back on, however UFC boss Dana White dashed our hopes by telling TMZ, “It’s not true. We haven’t talked to Conor or his manager since the press conference. I don’t know why he would tweet that.”
Despite what Dana said, Conor’s coach still thinks he has a good chance at fighting in Vegas this July.
“As of right now I don’t know. I’m 51% optimistic, 49% pessimistic,” he told The MMA Hour.
“When I left Conor he was still positive that there was going to be good news coming.
“There’s mutual respect from both parties. Dana and Lorenzo and those guys are sensible businessmen. This is just one of those things.
“At some stage they’ve got to see it’s pointless to upset so many fans that want to see this fight.”
The Straight Blast Gym coach also revealed that Conor’s intense new training regime proves that he’s still preparing for his rematch with Nate Diaz on July 9.
“This was Conor getting up at 7:45am – and I can’t tell you how unusual that is unless you know him the way I do.
“We’re still preparing and training for 200 so I hope there’s good news. I think it’s moving in the right direction. There’s a lot of positive momentum.
Following Conor tweeting that he was going to “retire young” last week, John admitted that at the time – it was the real deal.
“That was not a joke. I was coaching in Iceland, he showed up late for the session and I was berating him and he said: ‘Oh yeah, I just retired’.
“He was content to leave it at that. I’m sometimes the handbrake on his enthusiasm.
“We had a conversation. I thought it was a bit rash. But Conor’s a special individual,” he added.