Canty has red card rescinded

Canty has red card rescinded

Graham Canty has had the red card he picked up in last month's Munster SFC semi-final replay defeat to Kerry erased from the record books, following a decision by the GAA's Central Hearings Committee (CHC).

With five minutes left in normal time, the Cork captain earned his second yellow card for what referee Pat McEnaney cited as "tripping his opponent with the foot".

Television replays showed that Kerry's Colm Cooper, who was competing for a loose ball with Canty, had gone to ground rather easily and that there was minimal contact between the players, with Canty seemingly getting to the ball first.

Cooper kicked the resulting free to level the game and the Kingdom went on to win in extra-time, booking their place in tomorrow's final against Limerick.

Speaking after the game, Canty said: "My take on that was that the ball broke, I went for it and went to pick it up.

"I got a touch on it and Colm Cooper arrived at the same time. I picked up a yellow for it. I thought I made contact with the ball."

While the dismissal would not have prevented Canty from playing against Cavan in next weekend's qualifier, the Bantry Blues clubman sought a hearing to clear his name.

The CHC felt that Canty did not trip his opponent with the foot, as was alleged, but did not make any finding "as to whether he committed any infraction in this instance".

A statement confirmed that "the fixed penalty imposed of debarment from playing for the remainder of the game, including any extra-time, is erased from his record".

Meanwhile, Waterford captain Tony Grey will miss his side's second round qualifier trip to Offaly next weekend.

The wing back was sent-off late on in the Deise's Munster semi-final loss to Limerick last month, for allegedly throwing a sideline flag in the direction of a Limerick player.

Reported for "behaving in a way dangerous to an opponent", Grey requested a hearing after his initial suspension was proposed by the Central Competitions Control Committee.

The CHC conducted a partial hearing on June 17 and adjourned proceedings to July 1 at the request of Grey. But the player informed the CHC that he "no longer required a hearing".

He is suspended from the date of the game - June 6 - for a period of eight weeks, as this was "a repeat infraction within 48 weeks".

More in this Section

Academy stars Saka and Nketiah fire Arsenal into FA Cup fifth roundAcademy stars Saka and Nketiah fire Arsenal into FA Cup fifth round

Quinn: FAI outlook not as bad as I thoughtQuinn: FAI outlook not as bad as I thought

Castleknock hold off spirited Roscrea rallyCastleknock hold off spirited Roscrea rally

Here is the draw for the FA Cup fifth roundHere is the draw for the FA Cup fifth round


It couldn't be easier to add life to soil, says Peter Dowdall.It’s good to get your hands dirty in the garden

Kya deLongchamps sees Lucite as a clear winner for collectors.Vintage View: Lucite a clear winner for collectors

Their passion for the adventures of JK Rowling’s famous wizard cast a love spell on Cork couple Triona Horgan and Eoin Cronin.Wedding of the Week: Passion for Harry Potter cast spell on Cork couple

After in-depth explainers on Watergate and the Clinton affair in seasons one and two, respectively, Slate podcast Slow Burn took a left turn in its third season, leaving behind politics to look at the Tupac-Notorious BIG murders in the mid-1990s.Podcast Corner: Notorious killings feature in Slow Burn

More From The Irish Examiner