Dave Miley, an unsuccessful candidate for the role of CEO of Tennis Ireland, has released a statement outlining his disappointment with the recruitment process.
A dispute between Miley and Tennis Ireland is due before the Workplace Relations Committee(WRC) in 2017, following the appointment of appointment of new chief executive Richard Fahey in October.
— Tennis Ireland (@Tennis_Ireland) October 21, 2016
News of the WRC proceedings came to light last month and a Tennis Ireland spokesperson said: "The appointment was made in a careful and considered way, looking at the needs of the sport, the needs of the organisation and the demands of the role.
“While the board acknowledges the disappointment of all the unsuccessful candidates, it is fully satisfied that in Richard Fahey it has selected a candidate as CEO who has the full range of skills and experience to take on the ambitions of Tennis Ireland and to deliver growth and success for the organisation, while working closely with clubs and their members.”
Today Miley released a statement in response, outlining the experience he felt made him suitable for the role and saying: “I am disappointed with the recruitment and selection process undertaken by Tennis Ireland.”
Miley said he had asked to review materials relating to the appointment decision but had yet to receive them.
“As a candidate, I decided to request transparency of the judging process as it pertained to the three interviews I attended. I therefore requested copies of the marking sheets and an explanation of the panel’s judging process. This request was made on the 20th of October. Tennis Ireland has yet to send the requested information.”
Fahey, a former FAI executive, is due to take up the role in January. We have reached out to Tennis Ireland for comment.