Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon has stressed his club will not “interfere or create any problems” for Manchester United over their handling of the Cristiano Ronaldo transfer saga.
Madrid’s public courtship of the Portugal winger has infuriated United, with the club having already reported the Spanish champions to FIFA over what they perceived to be attempts to unsettle the 23-year-old.
Although Calderon’s insistence Madrid will do things by the book is likely to be greeted with scorn at Old Trafford, the wily 57-year-old is adamant the ball remains in United’s court.
Calderon said: “We will not make a move until the team (Manchester United) says they want to sell the player.
“Right now they are saying the contrary and there’s little we can do.”
Ronaldo’s United contract runs until 2012 and the club are anxious to dissuade any possible suitors.
A statement on their website, www.manutd.com, on Friday read: “Further to Friday’s press speculation about where Cristiano Ronaldo’s future lies, the club has moved to reiterate its stance on the matter: United are not listening to offers.”
The player himself has yet to reveal where he wants to play next season, although his comments following Portugal’s exit from Euro 2008 suggest he would prefer a move to the Bernabeu.
If that is confirmed then Calderon says Madrid would be ready to make their move.
“Once Ronaldo announces his future and once his club accept to sell him then we would have talks,” he added.
“Right now, he is a player of Manchester United and we will not interfere or create any problems.
“Ronaldo is under contract with another team and we cannot think about him but focus on the players we have.”
Ronaldo is Madrid’s top target this summer, with Calderon revealing he expects little action in the transfer market over the coming months.
“We will not even make two signings,” said Calderon. “We have a young team.
“We have made 19 signings in the last two years and what we really want is for the team that we have to consolidate itself.
“We have young players, who will grow and that is our hope.”
Earlier on Sunday, Madrid coach Bernd Schuster urged Calderon to “pay what is necessary” to take Ronaldo to the Spanish capital.
A world-record transfer fee of 100 million euros has been talked about and Schuster insists the club must be ready to dig deep.
“For a player of his kind of level, we must pay what is necessary,” he told German television channel DSF.
“Because, for us what is most important is to win the Champions League and he can help us achieve that.”