Burnley defender James Tarkowski leaves England camp to undergo surgery

Burnley defender James Tarkowski has withdrawn from England’s World Cup preparation camp to undergo hernia surgery.

The 28-year-old, who earned his first England cap in March when Italy visited Wembley, was named on boss Gareth Southgate’s five-man standby list ahead of the tournament in Russia and had been training with the Three Lions.

But following assessment it has been agreed that Tarkowski requires an operation and he will not play any part at the World Cup.

A statement from Burnley on Sunday evening said the centre-back is expected to be fit for pre-season training when it begins in early July, and that England have confirmed there are no plans to call up a replacement defender at this time.

- Press Association

More on this topic

There's a window cleaning World Cup and here's who won

World Cup will be the Hunger Games for Ireland, says Marshall

Russian security agency claims drone attacks thwarted at World Cup

‘Hero’ pilot killed in Leicester helicopter crash was ‘living the dream’

More in this Section

Sean Dancer becomes new Ireland head coach

Fernandinho thinks Manchester City showed their desire to retain title

Donaghy: Who’ll stand up to become the new Seamus Darby?

City must return to the Caulfield finishing school


Lifestyle

Ask Audrey: How to sort out Norries in your back yard

More From The Irish Examiner