Brogan fails in appeal bid as Dubs line up challenge matches

Dublin attacker Bernard Brogan's appeal against the eight-week suspension, handed down to him by the GAA's Central Competitions Control Committee for his sending-off against Meath, has been unsuccessful.

A statement issued today by the GAA confirmed that Brogan's appeal to the Central Appeals Committee had failed along with those of Meath's Seamus Kenny, Niall McKeigue, Shane McAnarney, Brendan Murphy and Nigel Crawford.

Red carded against Meath last month for his part in a mass brawl, Brogan was one of four Dublin players to have their cases heard by the Central Hearings Committee recently - and each of their bans were upheld.

As it stands, the St. Oliver Plunkett's/Eoghan Ruadh clubman will miss the Dubs' Leinster championship opener against Louth at Croke Park on June 8.

Both Brogan and the Meath players could still take their cases to the GAA's Disputes Resolution Authority.

Should the Meath players do so, they will have their cases heard before their Leinster SFC first round clash with Carlow this coming Sunday.

Meanwhile, Dublin have pencilled in two tough challenge matches as they gear up for their Leinster title defence.

Paul Caffrey's charges will take on reigning Connacht champions Sligo this Saturday at St. Margaret's (throw-in 4pm) as part of the club's centenary celebrations.

The following weekend the Dubs will lock horns with Armagh in Cullyhanna, keen to put in a good performance after being hammered by the Orchard men during the league.

After three Leinster successes in a row, Dublin centre-back Bryan Cullen is acutely aware that time is running out on his side's All-Ireland bid but he remains confident that the capital's long wait for the Sam Maguire Cup could be over soon.

"When I was first starting off with Dublin, the emphasis was really on bringing through the successful Under-21 team we had (in 2003)," Cullen said.

"If you look at our team now the majority is from the Under-21 team - from Stephen Cluxton, Paul Casey, Barry Cahill, myself and Alan Brogan. There is an endless amount of lads.

"I probably would agree we are coming into our best years. This year or next year does represent our best opportunity to land the (All-Ireland) title."

More in this Section

Jones hoping ‘Kamikaze kids’ Curry and Underhill will be fit to face IrelandJones hoping ‘Kamikaze kids’ Curry and Underhill will be fit to face Ireland

Pepe 'ready to have more minutes' in Liverpool game, says Arsenal boss EmeryPepe 'ready to have more minutes' in Liverpool game, says Arsenal boss Emery

MMA move for ex-England rugby playerMMA move for ex-England rugby player

Nkoudou leaves Spurs for BesiktasNkoudou leaves Spurs for Besiktas


Lifestyle

A parent coach says parents are often the best judge of how to care for their baby – and explains how they can learn to have faith in their intuition.Ask an expert: How can I know what’s best for my baby?

We take a trip down memory lane and check out what happened on this day in years gone by by looking back at some Irish Examiner front pages and highlighting other events which went down in history across the world.August 23, 2019: A look back at what happened on this day in years gone by

RP O’Donnell says it is hard to find anywhere better than Boston to show your family a great time as he returns to a city he used to call homeA family friendly holiday guide to get the best out of beautiful Boston

Leslie Williams sampled the seafood at Cavistons in Dublin.Restaurant Review: Cavistons - Charming staff, the freshest fish, solid cooking

More From The Irish Examiner