Ballesteros under observation after successful brain op

Ballesteros under observation after successful brain op

Seve Ballesteros remained “under observation” in Madrid’s La Paz hospital last night after undergoing a third brain operation.

Doctors declared the surgery a success and stressed there had been no complications in the procedure to alleviate pressure on the brain caused by an edema, and to remove remaining tumour tissues.

Ballesteros, the 51-year-old five-time major winner, was diagnosed with a tumour earlier this month and before yesterday’s surgery he had already undergone two operations – the second to reduce swelling on the brain.

Hospital officials confirmed Ballesteros was in theatre for over six hours.

A statement from the hospital last night read: “The patient Mr Severiano Ballesteros has been subjected to a new surgery that ended at 1700 today with no complications occurring.

“In the operation, the aims originally planned have been achieved and the edema and the remnants of the tumour eliminated.

“The patient entered the operating room of the neurosurgery service at 0830 for the preparation and process anaesthetic and the intervention began at 10.30. It has involved three neurosurgeons, two anaesthesiologists and three nurses.

“The patient is stable... and is currently under observation in the intensive care unit.”

The golfing world will await news of progress in the condition of the Spaniard, and Justin Rose yesterday offered words of support to the former Ryder Cup captain.

The Englishman, who had just completed his second round at the Castellon Masters, was speaking before the hospital revealed an update on Ballesteros’ condition.

And he revealed all the players were waiting on tenterhooks for further news.

“Everyone is keeping a very close eye on the situation and wishing Seve all the best,” said Rose.

“We are all wishing him and his family well. I know everyone here is sending their heartfelt best wishes and thinking of him.”

Spain’s Alvaro Quiros, who won the Portugal Masters last week, echoed Rose’s sentiments, adding: “We can’t help him with words, that won’t be enough. It is not in our hands and all I can say is good luck to Seve and I hope he recovers.”


More in this Section

Gregor Townsend welcomes World Rugby idea to combine international windowsGregor Townsend welcomes World Rugby idea to combine international windows

GAA quiz: Can you name last player to touch the ball in these All-Ireland senior hurling finals?GAA quiz: Can you name last player to touch the ball in these All-Ireland senior hurling finals?

British government guidelines pave way for a behind closed doors return for elite sportBritish government guidelines pave way for a behind closed doors return for elite sport

Andros Townsend praises 'incredible' Palace and says the hard work starts nowAndros Townsend praises 'incredible' Palace and says the hard work starts now


Lifestyle

Fearless is a slick new documentary airing next Monday on RTÉ 1 which follows Cork native and editor-in-chief of US Glamour, Samantha Barry, in the run up to the 29th Glamour Women of the Year Awards. Ruth O’Connor speaks to Barry about her editorship of one of Condé Nast's most important media outlets.The fearless Samantha Barry: From Ballincollig in Cork to editor of Glamour

This time last year Whiddy Island in West Cork was bustling with people who had caught the ferry for the short trip from Bantry to ramble the island’s boreens as part of the Bantry Walking Festival. Not so this year.Islands of Ireland: Whiddy in the same boat

Gomera is always replete with stories to tell, and this week is no exception.Damien Enright: Merciless predation on the beaches of Gomera

Denis Summers-Smith, the sparrow expert, died on the 5th of May last at the age of 99.Richard Collins: Adaptable sparrow — the ultimate home bird

More From The Irish Examiner